Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: good deer hunting rifle

Re: good deer hunting rifle

There's a good post on the efficiency of the good 'ol 30-30 right here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27930

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

get a used savage 99 in 308 and you will hate every other gun in the world.
    its cheap
    relaible
    light good for short range bush gun and long range gun plenty of power for anything in canada fast repeat shots you wont be disapointed.

6.5 x 55 once you get one you'll know why everyone that has one loves em.

Just one of many great deer rifles, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    Thats just crazy talk I shoot mgnum and non magnum calibers and each has thier place but i can assure you that for NA Game you do not need a magnum and if you want to start looking at ballistics and what is offered to the Std cartridge crowd then you will arrive at that conclusion yourself . Ask the folks that use both and i am pretty sure that they will say that you dont need a magnum
    Nobody needs a magnum to kill any North American game species, but if someone is willing to put up with all the kicking these guns do or needs to impress his peers go ahead and be happy.

But for a beginner I would, like Barracuda and other commonsense folks, suggest something friendlier and still able to do what any magnum can do. For me a deer, and all around caliber, that will do a fine number on ANY game animal is the .270. This caliber is easy to handle and ammunition in many configurations are available anywhere except on the moon.

Like I said, if someone wants to shot a magnum fine. But I have yet to see any solid proof of what a magnum can do that a normal deer rifle can’t do too. A magnum may hit harder it may shoot flatter than some of the smaller calibers (barley noticeable) but all it basically does is make an animal dead. So does a smaller caliber. A magnum does not make the animal more dead. There are no different degrees of dead just dead.

“Magnums are better”, simply laughable. I wonder how generations before us managed to kill deer to the point of extinction, among other species, without magnums.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Well, fact of the matter is that all men on this site own magnums. If you dont, ur just not a man I suppose. My wife shoots a non magnum and even she thinks its a gun for pussies.
    Funny, I see so many real men at the range flinching like pussies when they shoot their magnums.

its cheap
    relaible
    light good for short range bush gun and long range gun plenty of power for anything in canada fast repeat shots you wont be disapointed.
    2X that one

Quote Originally Posted by steelheadSABO View Post
    its cheap
    relaible
    HEAR HEAR.... x-2

Ooops....
    spreerider beat me to the keyboard..
    X-3
    Last edited by 358win; 11-20-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06 View Post
    when your in Vancouver stop and talk to the boys at reliable, good guys they'll help you with your decision.
    i agree. x2

if you can , BUY NEW!!!

Most folks want new rifle prices for used rifles and way to much for trash. Do not purchase from semi pro Gun traders either they are as bad as car salesman

I swapped a nice rifle for what ended up a piss poor rifle to a person that said they wanted it for their young Son (i could accept it if it really was for thier son) only to find out they were a guntrader and sold the rifle, and they had used this tactic on others.

I sold the rifle I received as a "project rifle" and i walked away with a whopping $200 dollars so i say be carefull who you deal with.

If i am getting rid of a rifle it will be for a fair price with full disclosure I see so many folks that want near new price or the you dont pay the tax BS.
    As far as i am concerned it is like a car, the minute you drive it off the lot it is down 25% (unless it is a much sought after specific model).

Buy new or from a reputable shop be very careful buying second hand from a private party .

there are plenty of good value new rifles on the market nowadays that folks have not had the chance to screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    if you can , BUY NEW!!!

Most folks want new rifle prices for used rifles and way to much for trash. Do not purchase from semi pro Gun traders either they are as bad as car salesman

I swapped a nice rifle for what ended up a piss poor rifle to a person that said they wanted it for their young Son (i could accept it if it really was for thier son) only to find out they were a guntrader and sold the rifle, and they had used this tactic on others.

I sold the rifle I received as a "project rifle" and i walked away with a whopping $200 dollars so i say be carefull who you deal with.

If i am getting rid of a rifle it will be for a fair price with full disclosure I see so many folks that want near new price or the you dont pay the tax BS.
    As far as i am concerned it is like a car, the minute you drive it off the lot it is down 25% (unless it is a much sought after specific model).

Buy new or from a reputable shop be very careful buying second hand from a private party .

there are plenty of good value new rifles on the market nowadays that folks have not had the chance to screw up.
    Very well said.

New good quality guns can be had in the range of $450 to $600. With a new gun you know what you get and manufactures warranty.

With a used gun you get what you see and no warranties or guarantees of any kind.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"