Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: good deer hunting rifle

Re: good deer hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    Get a magnum, the people who say dont are people who dont want you killing thier deer! IMO When its time to switch to bigger game, you dont have to purchase another.
    Saying you need a magnum for deer or elk or moose or black bear or goat or sheep in BC is like saying you need a Big Old Caddy or Lincoln to drive to the corner store instead of a regular car.

There are several good calibers to choose from for what you have asked and many of them have been mentioned by other posts! 30-06 is probably one of the most popular and versatile for varying bullet weights but there are lots of other choices as well.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

get a 270 win that will drop them.

Well, fact of the matter is that all men on this site own magnums. If you dont, ur just not a man I suppose. My wife shoots a non magnum and even she thinks its a gun for pussies.

I have Killed almost every Big game animal in BC with my 270 win, just got a new one actually, Guys who feel they need a magnum have small man syndrome... a 30-06 is the best everything gun...I will bet I can outshoot most magnum guys with my little old 270.... and for the record, I have had lots of magnums, 378 WBY,30-378,338-378WBY MAg,300RUM,308 Norma mag,300 Win Mag and a few others like the 7RM..
    buy what you feel comfortable with and something that wont make you shy of recoil.

listen to the old guys on the site that have actually killed a few animals not the one Kill heros.
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk

Well, fact of the matter is that all men on this site own magnums. If you dont, ur just not a man I suppose. My wife shoots a non magnum and even she thinks its a gun for pussies.
    That's funny cuz I shoot a 7RM which I guess makes me a "man" since it's a "magnum" but when you boil it all down, it's nothing but a glorified 280, 270, 30-06, 280 AI etc......pussie I guess!
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

a word magnum it seems must be some kind of compensentary device

Magnum is just a name like alpine or even wheelan. if ballistics are the criteria then the 223 or 270 should one but they arnt.

If you were to introduce the 375 H&H would it be a magnum? What exactly is a magnum, we know it isnt the belt, we know it isnt velocity or even Bore size.

So what exactly is a magnum in this day and age other then a catchy sales tool????

I have used a 270 for 30 years now this is agreat gun for deer and moose and elk never lost a animal .It has very little recoil. Very flat shooting rifle.This rifle is just a 30-06 necked down. I use federal premium nosler partition 150 grain bullet. You will not have to buy any other rifle for hunting

270 ruger is a great all round caliber with 130 grain nosler partitions

My first recommendation would be a Remington 700 BDL custom in long action 30/06 with a 22 inch barrel, in either wood or synthetic stock. I own this rifle and have a VXIII 4.5X14 Scope on top. This rifle will almost do everything you can think of in B.C. except not for the great bears. I can tell you that the Remington 700 is accurate, well balanced, not too heavy and easy to shoot and light on recoil. My wife carries it and shoots it when we hunt together. If the truth be known I like the Remington 700 better than my 300 Weatherby Lazermark.

.416 rigby