Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: good deer hunting rifle

Re: good deer hunting rifle

with a 3006 you can always get some High Energy rounds which bring it pretty within the 300 winmag factory offerings

I love the "I gotta magnum" " Getta magnum" crowd.

You guys would suck at bowhunting !

Get a 338 Fed, it's bartell's new favourite. A 225gr bullet flying at '06 velocity would take grizz comfortably, and it recoils the same as the '06. Taking a deer with a 165gr is no problem with it either. According to TB anyway. But it's not a magnum!
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by BCLongshot View Post
    I love the "I gotta magnum" " Getta magnum" crowd.

You guys would suck at bowhunting !
    I love my 300 win mag! What can I say! It has never let me down, I haven't had a lot of meat spoilage, I can buy shells anywhere, and if I take my time and make a well placed shot, the animal goes down immediately in its tracks! I have looked at other cartridges, was even considering a smaller 270 ish type caliber, but donot need too! He asked and I answered! I do think I could bow hunt, been up close and personal with many critters in the bush! Definately within bow range!! Moosin

i live in langley but i travel to vancouver every day and i have no idea where to look so i figured ask the ppl who shop there

i would probably be looking used

i would probably prefer a scope

it would have to be a good all around gun because i would be doing both

from everything I've been taught and heard from other experienced hunters, the .303 British, the .308 and the 30/06 are all caliber's that can take any game in North America. so if you want to make sure you have something that can take down anything you expect to hunt, one of those will do.

a book I've enjoyed reading would have a lot of good advice for you to consider: The Perfect Shot North America by Craig Boddington. he talks about the different caliber's he finds good to take down the different game in North America and talks about what shouldn't be used. one thing I appreciate about it is the fact it has images of animals at different angles with guides to show you how to take the shot for bullet placement. he stresses how caliber is not as important as the placement of your shot.

when your in Vancouver stop and talk to the boys at reliable, good guys they'll help you with your decision.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

Check out the website S.I.R.
    Great mail order website with great prices.They have new guns,and gun/scope combinations for sale.

Good deer hunting rifles are the old and trusted .30-06 and my current favorite the .270 Wheaterby Vanguard. What makes these calibers excellent in my opinion are:

Easy on the recoil, something every novice should consider.
    No other caliber offers such a large variety of bullet/load configurations.
    .30-06 and .270 loads are readily available anywhere in the world from the big city to the smallest village.
    The .30-o6 and .270 are what I would consider the perfect all around hunting caliber that have taken every game animal on the face of earth except the big five Africans (elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo and hippo).
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

a stevens 200 in 270 or 308 will cover any animal from gophers to moose and some people use them for grizz