good deer hunting rifle

i am getting into hunting and am looking for a good reliable deer rifle
    any suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: good deer hunting rifle

A good deer hunting riffle I wourld say a 30-06 0r 308
    30-06 all the way

Stevens, SPS or Vangard. stay away from the 710s and the 770s (DISPOSABLE ). use standard calibers that are cheap to feed and easy to find and remember You dont need a magnum .

ok thank you now knowing that where would you suggest i go to look for one for a decent price and about what would i expect to pay?

Get a magnum, the people who say dont are people who dont want you killing thier deer! IMO When its time to switch to bigger game, you dont have to purchase another.

Thats just crazy talk I shoot mgnum and non magnum calibers and each has thier place but i can assure you that for NA Game you do not need a magnum and if you want to start looking at ballistics and what is offered to the Std cartridge crowd then you will arrive at that conclusion yourself . Ask the folks that use both and i am pretty sure that they will say that you dont need a magnum

I think when starting into hunting you don't want to get a magnum to start with either. I know guys that have even hunted for quite a while that could shoot fairly well with their .308's and such, got a Weatherby because it was better for longer range and now they can't hit anything past 200 yards with their magnum because they are scared of it and flinch. You don't want to go down that path. It does happen to a few hunters, I know most of us can handle recoil........

I would suggest a Remington 700 SPS. You can get it in stainless with hinged floorplate, or matte black with floorplate OR detachable magazine. Price $600-700 depending on if its matte black or stainless steel. Put some good scope mounts on it, Burris, Leupold, Talley - and spend at least $230 on a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope, better yet $400 on a Leupold VXII 3-9x40!

7mm-08 or 270 Winchester are ideal for deer in open country, and both can take elk, bear, and moose as well. Also cant go wrong with a 308 Winchester or 30-06.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

300 Win Mag! Bang Flop!!! Moosin

Cory, more information would help to get you where you want to be:

1) Where do you live?? Is there a sports store there or are you interested in mail order?

2) Are you interested in used versus new?

3) Any preference to sights (scope versus open irons)?

4) What type of country will you be hunting in?? Coastal rain forest or the wide open country around the Okanogan??

All this sort of information will help us recommend a great caliber/brand combination...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main