Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medipak - SRUPP ???

Re: Medipak - SRUPP ???

Midnightrun..yes they use it for emergency treatment..

HOWEVER it should be used on relatively small shallow cuts at a angle with a "flap" that can be glued closed...it is not ideal for a deep "incised" wound where after cleaning..friars balsam could be used and once dry steri strips used in place of sutures and a dry dressing over to protect and keep clean..

Another good point is that it "seals" to keep moisture and dirt out...

Steven

I like the "free" services of a Paramedic idea Steve!.....Actually I have had this offer before for real in Stone Sheep country but we just had a baby and I was in NO shape to be another burden to the Outfitter......I think we should keep this ball rolling and maybe get some more members with ideas that they have used to inspire the masses......I will look at putting together a 1 day, affordable but practical Emergency First Aid course geared towards the avid outdoorsman/women with scenarios that would be field related up here in PG......I dont I will sleep tonight with all the brainstromin.....lol..
    "....I got it in pepper laminate and see...it really does match the rest of the furniture!"

Oh...good list for a kit Steve!
    "....I got it in pepper laminate and see...it really does match the rest of the furniture!"

I did teach survival courses and field classess and school courses..no time..

Biggest "Tip" is to determain your goal...and look what you have to improvise to achieve that goal..THATS why I didnt include "SAM " SPLINTS..or lots of bandaging..

BLEEDING close the gaping wound..use the sterile stuff closest to the wound..need more??use the ABDS/PRESSURE DRESSINGS /XLMAXI PADS..

STILL bleeding??leave the layers already there ...in place..DONT REMOVE..now add clean clothing or a big bulky bath towel or???etc etc etc..

Losing blood ???(its important stuff it carries o2 to the brain )..no IV'S ?? forgot your paramedic at home ??If possible elevate the legs allow the blood to return to the core from the legs...= adds volume to the VITALS brain and heart..

Use those space blankets insulate from the ground..horse blankets??? camp sleeping mats..sleeping bags then wrap those space blankets..then wrap in sleeping bags...build a fire..dont forget a cap or toque..60% of a patients heat esacpes through the head...shivering will worsen a pts condition from bad to 'shockey"..NO NOT JIM SHOCKEY...lol

Steven

dont forget direct pressure...

SR

Would Red Cross help put on a sportsmans outdoor first course? Might be something more than just me would be interested in. I am going to look for someone to contact from Red Cross this week, I can't come to PG.(well until this fall anyways)

I brought this up a few years ago to my district Redcross rep and she had no issues with RC Instructors doing an E.F.A. that was geared towards the outdoors..as long as the duration on the course was followed and the standards remained the same......You would just have to find a RC Instructor with good sound outdoor experience..

I dont think you have to have one geared towards the outdoors. Just going for a RCMP level course or something like that should give you a good feel for what is going on. I mean what if you hurt yourself if the trailer? Or at home since you are there and not in the field 95% of the time. I think the most important thing to do is have a shot of Rye and get some bed rest, even if youre feeling fine, this is still a good plan, very preventative.

Bigbore....for sure...as long as you get a clear understanding of the objectives of treatments then this would be enough....the RCMP level course you are talking about is a "Standard First Aid" which is actually the first 2 class days of a "Wilderness First Aid". The idea of the outdoor components would just make if more practical for the outdoors people...plus it sure would be fun to do this course outdoors where the accidents really happen instead of the classroom...either way....folks would benefit from both...