Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New To BC need info on moose hunting!

New To BC need info on moose hunting!

Hey there folks, glad I found this forum, there is lots of information and tips on here, i moved here about 3 months ago now and am looking forward to moose hunting this fall, where do you suggest I go? ive herd the prince george area is suppose to be really good but i dont want to hunt where I see somebody every 20 min well walking through the bush. What do you suggest for approach, tree stands or walking, driving logging roads? any information would be much appreciated thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New To BC need info on moose hunting!

need to know where abouts you are located and how far you are willing to travel for a rubber nose swamp donkey
    Animals are my friends, my friends taste good bbq

drakehunter. Hey nice to see you on the site you picked a good one.
    I was wondering if you have hunted the moose before and have you been successful in your hunting?
    Also walking in the bush is good. Do you like good roads to hunt off? Quads? Horses? Packing or hunting along rivers with a boat?
    This way a person could figure out why to go where to different moose habitat with different kinds of access.
    If you just like driving up and into a spot and drive around looking off road into meadows and swamps and maybe walking around a bit theres lots of spots to do these things.
    Off hand I would say Reg 6 or 7 would be where a person could start looking into and focus on a smaller area within. For the best moose hunting imo.
    Just talk about moose hunting experience or not too much yet. Then we can start to get a good area and spot.
    Jelvis.

I have hunted moose in the past back in northern ontario with little success, but that was combined with fishing trips and not much effort put into the hunting as much. As for vehicals we won't have anything except for man power and a few 4x4 trucks, im located in langley/surrey, we dont have any dates booked just yet, but we are hoping to hunt for 4-5 days and a few weekends if that doesnt pull through. We are planning on setting up a basecamp on crown land and looking for swamps or valleys to sit over.

Drakehunter - there is a certain initiation you have to do as a new member - and seeing Mr.Dean is not online to tell you, I will let you in on the secret

before anyone will give u advice or information you MUST tell a joke - all us newbies had to do this or face the wrath of our Mr Dean. hehehehehee

and welcome to the site - it is a wonderful place to hang out - lots of really great people here

Alison

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Sounds like you have made a number of options to fit your plan around and thats half the fun.
    Those combined trips can be a lot of good times. That word effort is quite important I hear ya.
    Vehicles heck if you got any vehicle like a pick-up especially a four wheel that should be more than enough.
    Langley/Surrey is in a spot thats fairly easy to get on the 401 out of town.
    Four or five days sounds about right to me and a few week ends would fill the bill.
    Crown land is every where and can be used to your full enjoyment. With swamps and valleys galore, you got it made in B.C.
    What kind of maps and atlases do you use to see the management units?
    Have you thought of limited entry hunting or just want general open season, cause I would recommend leh but there are general open seasons and spike/fork moose also.
    Have you got a leh synopsis?
    One spot that I would get you to look up on a decent recreational atlas would be;
    Between Burns Lake and Telkwa on either side of the valley.
    Another spot too - Mu 6-5 and 6-6 the road north, from Burns Lake to Babine Lake. Look at these areas then see the leh available. Jel
    The logging spurs off this road.

before anyone will give u advice or information you MUST tell a joke - all us newbies had to do this or face the wrath of our Mr Dean. hehehehehee
    Sadly, I was not given this information either.

I know lots of good spots for moose, but they are the spots everyone else knows about too. I am still looking for a spot that only 2 or 3 know about, that is the trick.

welcome to bc ,tons of hunting opportunities here.make sure you have your residency before you pick up a licence.you need to have been a resident for six months to be legal. you should be good to go this fall.

You well also need a BC hunter number.That involves a test.Welcome and good luck.

Region 7B is great for moose, but one heck of a long way for you to travel. I know lots of great spots. Let me know...