Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steep Angle Shooting Technique

Re: Steep Angle Shooting Technique

The serious field archery guys will use a "cut chart"

http://www.getoat.com/page6.htm

I have a rough cut chart memorized in my head for shooting 3D as distances are estimated and I believe inclinometers would be considered a ranging device so anlge is guestimated by the SWAG method (Scientific wild a$$ guess). I use that as a third method to guesstimate my uphill downhill shots.

( you can pick up a cheap inclinometer from anywhere that sells back country ski gear , part of your avalanche kit)

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Wouldn't that make the shot more like 27yds?

Dividing by 1.2 and all.....

-Grant
    Grant is correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    shooting down you drop yards ....shooting up hill you add yards evidently
    Gravity only acts along the horizontal distance that your arrow travels, therefore you cut both uphill and down.
    If you want to split hairs then you cut slightly less for downhill shots as the arrow retains energy a little better. For our purposes its the same.

Quiz: Your 15 feet up your treestand and a deer walks by 10 feet from the base of the tree, which distance do you shoot it for?

-Grant

I was being sarcastic as a dig at BW ....

by the way I shoot yer deer for 72 yards
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    shooting down you drop yards ....shooting up hill you add yards evidently
    BZM has a kinda sarcastic sense of humor - some call it dry. Either way, he's only poking fun at me - yet again...

Grant and greybark are right and I am mistaken. Whatever the formulas, or the adjustments I missed that nice chubby deer. Another lesson learned in my ongoing quest to be a legend in my own mind.................

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    BZM has a kinda sarcastic sense of humor - some call it dry. Either way, he's only poking fun at me - yet again...

Grant and greybark are right and I am mistaken. Whatever the formulas, or the adjustments I missed that nice chubby deer. Another lesson learned in my ongoing quest to be a legend in my own mind.................
    Dry works for me.
    At my level of shooting I rarely cut for distance unless its a major grade, then again I mostly shoot NFAA Trad which requires you to gap shoot and those gaps don't change much with inclination.

-Grant

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    My neighbors think I'm nuts... shooting from the roof at the targets in my back yard! ;-0
    I thought that was because you finally had them over for dinner and they got to meet the real you and hear you pontificate about the benefits of the hunt (yawn). You sure it's about the archery? Or just being on the roof......

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Gravity only acts along the horizontal distance that your arrow travels, therefore you cut both uphill and down.
    If you want to split hairs then you cut slightly less for downhill shots as the arrow retains energy a little better. For our purposes its the same.

Quiz: Your 15 feet up your treestand and a deer walks by 10 feet from the base of the tree, which distance do you shoot it for?

-Grant
    You don`t arrow it as it is impossible to hit BOTH lungs , Unethical and a very poor shot location as the distance from the Spine and 4 inches in from the hide is only 2-3 inches ........
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Greybark does provide something to think about. But it's awful tough to let one walk at this yardage. I lost a nice buck taken at those distances. I just didn't get enough of the vitals. Placed the shot right where I wanted it though. The only option here is if they turn 1/4 away and you can aim for the heart. Think middle of the body, rather than the entry location. If you are 15 feet up and the animal is 10 feet away, it's a 3 yard shot. Pretty close. Nice to watch deer in the wild at that close range.

I'd like to play but my Leupold Vendetta does all the math for me now...