Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steep Angle Shooting Technique

Re: Steep Angle Shooting Technique

If these formulas are correct (or close enough) for determining horizontal distance, they should be useful for rifle hunters too, no?
    Twist and pull.

I shoot alot of 3D and in my experience with angle shooting I don't do the math i just guess how much to take off and it works good.

p.s: bow walker are you going to the provincials in williams lake on the weeked tell your friends to come and everyone you know to come, hoping for a good turn out.

THE BEAST (michael)

Bow Walker Guest

Micheal, my brother will be there (with a few buddies) his name is Bow Sitter (Ron). I can't make it this year.

My neighbors think I'm nuts... shooting from the roof at the targets in my back yard! ;-0
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bow Walker Guest

Just be glad that those "old, retired, yuppies" don't report you!

There's nothing like being prepared. I had an instructor that would say "failure to prepare means prepare to fail" He said that everyday!, and I agree. If you are in a new area that youve never hunted before sure the ARC on a rangfinder will be handy. Most of us, however, spend time scouting and setting up stands any ways why not drag a target out with you and practice from your stand... nows the time to do it!.

I have an inclinometer on my compass. I find thats really handy, and even more so now that I can use it with greater accuracy to determain distance.

I found this thread really insightfull and it shure is easier than doing triganometry or Pythagorian equations... Id fall asleep faster if I had to bother with that.

I also like using the markers to indicate my hunting range. I find its easier to hold my shot if the animal is outside my marked zone, than attempting a risky long shot thinking its closer than wat it is. Markers are a great idea and they give you the confidence to send your arrow knowing its going to hit the target.

FAILURE TO PREPARE MEANS PREPARE TO FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    My neighbors think I'm nuts... shooting from the roof at the targets in my back yard! ;-0
    My neighbors think its hilarious that I set a tree stand up in my yard and i empty my quiver into a foam target
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

I once had a shot at a nice meaty doe out at 33 yards. She was also at an upward angle of about 20 degrees - which made the shot more like 45 yards. I didn't have a rangefinder with ARC, or an inclinometer - just my "savvy", which turned out to be pretty good - at least it was better than my shooting form.

My shot sailed past in front of her brisket missing by about 4 inches. A clean miss. "Good line, though" (how many times have you heard that at a 3D?) a foot to the left and I'd have punctured her heart. I dropped my bow-hand too soon. I was trying to watch the arrow, rather than paying attention to shooting form. Such is life.......

My next "purchase" will be a rangefinder with ARC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I once had a shot at a nice meaty doe out at 33 yards. She was also at an upward angle of about 20 degrees - which made the shot more like 45 yards. I didn't have a rangefinder with ARC, or an inclinometer - just my "savvy", which turned out to be pretty good - at least it was better than my shooting form.

My shot sailed past in front of her brisket missing by about 4 inches. A clean miss. "Good line, though" (how many times have you heard that at a 3D?) a foot to the left and I'd have punctured her heart. I dropped my bow-hand too soon. I was trying to watch the arrow, rather than paying attention to shooting form. Such is life.......

My next "purchase" will be a rangefinder with ARC.
    Wouldn't that make the shot more like 27yds?

Dividing by 1.2 and all.....

-Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Wouldn't that make the shot more like 27yds?

Dividing by 1.2 and all.....

-Grant
    shooting down you drop yards ....shooting up hill you add yards evidently
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask