Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steep Angle Shooting Technique

Re: Steep Angle Shooting Technique

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Is stringwalking legal at 3D shoots?

technically no as per FCA rule 11.19.3 (classes defined) basically it states in trad classes , String and Face walking is prohibited as they are a sighting tool.

that said ... target framing on multi pin sights is easy to do , while technically illegal ... hard to prove that you are doing it.

It is illegal to move open open class sights once you have drawn the bow once as its easy to use your up/down/side pin as a ranging device as well

http://www.fca.ca/images/stories/FCA...e2010_v1.5.pdf
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Hey Islander , String Walking was watched for and prohibited at several of the Summer Games I attended ......
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Actually I knew it was prohibited....I was just testing these guys. When we hosted the Games in Nanaimo a few years ago it was also watched for. I knew a fellow years ago who got kicked out of his club and was not allowed to enter 3D shoots until he quit stringwalking. He wouldn't quit and we haven't seen him since.
    Pluck yew, boys

Traditional Bowhunters of BC President
    Nanaimo Fish and Game Club
    United Bowhunters of BC
    BCWF

I shoot RU for 3D and barebow for FITA because the equipment is the same. When I shoot NFAA in the US I follow Trad rules which do not permit string/face walking.
    Recurve Un-Aided - RU(m/f) or RU(m) & RU(f) [FITA “Barebow” division]
    1. A recurve or longbow may be used. Shoot-through risers are not allowed.
    2. The bow must be shot with a glove, finger tab or bare fingers.
    3. No sighting device or markings, protrusions, are allowed and there must be no markings on the bow or on the bowstring
    that could be of use in aiming. Multi-coloured risers and trademarks on the inside of the limbs are allowed.
    4. An arrow rest, which can be adjustable, a moveable pressure button, pressure point or arrow plate may all be used on
    the bow provided they are not electric or electronic and do not offer any additional aid in aiming. The pressure point
    may not be placed any further back than 2 cm (inside) from the throat of the handle (pivot point of the bow).
    5. No draw check device is allowed.
    6. The maximum diameter of arrow shafts will not exceed 9.3 mm; the points (heads) for these arrows may have a
    maximum diameter of 9.4 mm. All arrows of every athlete must be marked with the athlete's name or initials on the
    shaft. All arrows used at any end will carry the same pattern and colour(s) of fletching, nocks and cresting, if any.
    Arrows shall be identical in length, weight and colour, except for normal wear.
    7. No stabilizers are allowed and the unbraced bow complete with permitted accessories must be capable of passing
    through a hole or ring with a 12.2 cm. inside diameter +/- 0.5 mm. Torque flight compensators fitted as part of the
    bow are permitted provided that they do not also have stabilizers. Weight(s) may be added to the lower part of the
    riser. All weights, regardless of shape, must mount directly to the riser without rods, extensions, angular mounting
    connections or shock-absorbing devices.
    8. Face and string walking is permitted.
    9. The string may be multi-coloured and may have a centre serving and a single nocking point. If two nock locators are
    used for the nocking point, the distance between them should be just enough to hold the arrow nock. String servings
    must not end within the athlete’s vision at full draw. No lip or nose marks are permitted on the string.
    10. Finger protection in the form of finger stalls or tips, gloves, or shooting tab or tape (plaster) to draw, hold back and
    release the string is permitted. A separator between the fingers to prevent pinching the arrow is permitted.
    11. An ordinary glove, mitten or similar item may be worn on the bow hand but must not be attached to the grip. The finger
    protection must not incorporate any device to hold, draw and release the string. An anchor plate or similar device
    attached to the finger
    protection (tab) for the purpose of anchoring is not permitted.

-Grant

Grant....I stand corrected...thanks for pointing that out to me. I don"t understand the difference between Recurve unaided and barebow.
    Pluck yew, boys

Traditional Bowhunters of BC President
    Nanaimo Fish and Game Club
    United Bowhunters of BC
    BCWF

Grant .. thanks for pointing that out to me .....

so the only differance I see between Trad and RU ... is that RU allows for a rest other than the shelf and the arrows have to be wood in Trad ... is that about right
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grant....I stand corrected...thanks for pointing that out to me. I dont understand the difference between Recurve unaided and barebow.
    Under the FCA they are basically the same category for equipment and technique, but RU is for 3D only. Barebow is a recognized category for field, indoor and outdoor whereas all of the other trad classes aren't. They can shoot under barebow rules but really won't be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    [INDENT]Grant .. thanks for pointing that out to me .....

so the only differance I see between Trad and RU ... is that RU allows for a rest other than the shelf and the arrows have to be wood in Trad ... is that about right
    I'm not up to speed on the Trad rules under the FCA. If wood shafts are required then I've never seen it enforced on the Island. Then again everyone is also shooting bows cut way past center which is also counter to the rules.

I shot RU at the Hell-Hole with the impression they were going to follow FCA rules. At the registration the RU rules posted said no stringwalking. Fortunately I had a good tune to do either as I have to shoot gap in the US (NFAA trad), unfortunately I got a horrible virus the first day and barely made it through both days of shooting.
    I will bring a copy of the FCA RU rules with me in the future though.

-Grant

probally a good bet .... as most clubs even with a judge dont know that rule .... I certainly know that I was ignorant to it ...
    A true Archery Nut

Any time you are exploring the far reaches of the rule book its best to bring the pertinent sections along
    Stringwalking has some tuning challenges and really isn't suited to most traditional hunting, two reasons why you just don't see a lot of it over here. I like it; if I judge the distance well its is extremely accurate, which is why it's the dominant technique for Field and outdoor.

-Grant