Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crow hunt

Re: Crow hunt

Very smart birds. When I was a kid we used to hunt crows with a owl decoy and crow calls and hide in the tree line. It would work maybe once per field then the crows wouldn't come back.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

I do it!

Its a BLAST and its very challenging.
    I use a couple of mouth calls. Once you get the "language" sorted out, they're very reliable at bringing them in. An opened garbage can in the backyard can work wonders also.

If the 1st one's a screamer (crow), several shooters can clean house pretty good, as they'll show up in DROVES. If you take out the sentry and it's a bang-flop, start up on the crow distress call. If the sentry flies off before getting a shot off, there's a 'come back' call that he'll turn around on.

Crow crackin' is pretty cool stuff. It'll hone ANY hunters edge. I use a single shot .17 Diana, air rifle (regi required, 1000 fps) and my best solo score is 7 in one sitting, using my camper as cover. Lost count of how many are fertilizing the surrounding bush but I know this; Nothing eats them. Not even another Crow, or Yote, for that matter.

Learning their talk is key, as is concealment. There are a couple of squawks that'll send them the other way - Learn the language! AND stay hidden!!

The Squirrel Ranch provides this challenging hunt also... All available for the one access fee.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showp...00&ppuser=1206
    Last edited by Mr. Dean; 05-26-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I talked to one farmer who shot every crow on site as he had experianced having a crow blind one of his newborn calves. I have seen crows tear open a wooden birdhouse to get the songbird hatchlings inside. I do not think crows are in any danger of extinction.

Other than that there is information at:
    http://www.crowbusters.com/whyhc.htm
    "Don't believe everything you think."

They are considered a Class 'C' pest as per the Regs and can be shot with or without a hunting license.

They do a lot of crop damage is the main reason to hunt them. I never had a farmer refuse to let us shoot crows or woodchucks on their property.

The bonus is, if you get to know the farmer and are safe around buildings and livestock, you can sometimes get permission to hunt deer on their property as well. And by then your a pretty goos shot.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

[quote=MidnightRun;286873]
    I'll be the third person to ask this question, why shoot crows?
    Past Conservation effects now have this bird population out of control. They are rampant. With the enormous #'s of Crows, comes detrimental effects of other bird populations because Crows are nest raiders. Not only do they feast on eggs, they'll also attack hatchlings.

Starlings are another bird of class C pest.

Hunting down these two species is an honest measure of Conservation - GO GIT'EM!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Pardon me for sidetracking for a moment. A friend of mine recently moved to the Barrier area and I was wondering if there is anything much in the way of varmints or preds to hunt in that vacinity? Perhaps I should've started a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    Pardon me for sidetracking for a moment. A friend of mine recently moved to the Barrier area and I was wondering if there is anything much in the way of varmints or preds to hunt in that vacinity? Perhaps I should've started a new thread.
    LOTSA Yotes in the hood... Lynx also.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRun View Post
    I'll be the third person to ask this question, why shoot crows?
    Keep in mind that the question is what it is and not an attack at those who do hunt crows. When I shoot something it gets utilized either meat, hide or to eliminate a direct nuisance. There have been countless opportunities to shoot crows but I've had no reason to do so, however I am open to change my habits if I can justify it .
    You said it yourself, "...to eliminate a direct nuisance."
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

You want a challenge, try hunting Ravens, now those are smart birds
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Hope you aren't shooting ravens... it is my understanding that they are protected!!!