Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipi Tent vs Wall Tent

Tipi Tent vs Wall Tent

Which would you go for? I am leaning towards a tipi tent, since it will never be more than me and 2 or 3 other people hunting tops. They are light, easy to set up (it appears), you can put a stove in them, etc. I'm trying to get my hunting partner to go in on one with me, so I'm looking for pros and cons to both

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tipi Tent vs Wall Tent

Anyone got any opinions here???

how long you plan on hunting for? I think the tipi is for the minimalist hunter... I really enjoy the ol canvas tent I used to have! its nice to have flat walls on the sides too...

Cabelas also has some lightweight fabric tents too...

do a search there was a bigger thread about tipis not too long ago!
    Thompson Center ProHunter - Owner/Operator

Level A Welder / Fabricator by Trade

I have never had anything to do with the tipis, so can't comment there. I have used wall tents a bit and if you are truck hunting, or can get to your camping spot with your truck, I would say that the wall tent would be the way to go. From what I have read about the tipis, I think they would be great for a back pack hunt where weight is a issue. Dana just did a thread about his new tipi, and it looked preatty sweat.

bhh

Wall tent doesnt get much easier to set up, 15 minutes and she's up.
    For you and two or three people? Thats ideal for a 14x16' wall tent, its what I use.
    Couldnt imagine anything smaller as far comfort goes.
    For other than packing in, I dont think you can beat the wall tent.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

It all depends on what your main purpose of use is. I've got both. Truck camping especially in the late season, a wall tent is very very comfortable. Sleeping on a cot versus the ground feels a lot better on the ol' back come morning. I have set up my wall tent with poles that I have cut (when I have the time) or I have set it up with a rope between 2 trees as my ridge pole. Heavy snow and the rope sags so a come-along works even better. Can't ask for a faster setup. Stoves come much bigger for a walltent so the burn last longer, meaning more sleep and less stokin the fire at night. The tipi that I got is designed for the backpacker. If you plan on doing a lot of extreme weather backpacking, it is the cat's ass. The stove is small, but it can get ya warm and dry in a matter of minutes. Nothing worse than being snowed out in the highcountry and huddling in a dome tent as the storm blows and you are curled up in your sleeping bag trying to get rid of the chills. That is the main reason I decided to get a tipi tent. I can now hunt the backcountry without being pushed out by bad weather.

thanks for the posts guys. I have some thinking to do...I guess there isn't really ever a single best answer!

I'm looking at Tipi's and wall tents, so figured I'd bump this thread.

Wall tents look more comfortable, but the tipi's look quicker to set up and easier to dry once home. Looking for something that'll fit 2 cots, stove, and gear. We usually stay in motels for longer trips, but would like something suitable for weekend trips.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I have a 12x14 wall tent and find it is more trouble than it's worth for just a weekend. I use a smaller Kodiak canvas tent for weekend hunts sets up fast and is great for 2 ppl. If I am going for a week or more I bring the wall tent, way more room and way more comfortable.
    It aint easy being green

I was wondering about a 8 person ice fishing shelter. Pops up, insulated, lots of room for a couple of cots. In black or cammo if I could find one.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.