Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to get dog to retrieve

Re: Trying to get dog to retrieve

I haven't seen the video but I would like to add my 2 cents.

First off not all retrievers will pick up a bird, its rare but it can happen.

The force fetch program should not be attempted by everyone, it is very complex and timing is everything.

Get a box of pigeons, pull the flight feathers and go crazy, nothing beats hot birds, nothing!!!

The force fetch program should not be attempted by everyone, it is very complex and timing is everything.
    X2 My suggestion would be to get involved with a local retriever club and learn from the experience there. l lucked out last year and had a couple of our local amature trainers take the time, and give me step by step instructions on how to train up my chessies.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

I use the term" get the duck" even when I fetch with wings and balls but maybe I should use the term "fetch." But he always has been intimidated by birds, squirrels, and racoons. One time he was sniffing and a squirrel popped up and he ran back to me But with birds, I have tried baby chicks, and pigeons and he hesitantly sniffs them and then leaves them alone. I read up on forced fetching and that seems like a good program, I might try that or try getting a pro or club to help. The only problem is that with archery 3d, hunting, and the internet I dont have much time for bird hunting or dog training so I have to figure out my priorities.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Quote Originally Posted by pupper View Post
    ----SNIP-----The only problem is that with archery 3d, hunting, and the internet I dont have much time for bird hunting or dog training so I have to figure out my priorities.

If you don't spend the time training, you'll end up using the 6 foot retriever a lot (you or your buddy ).
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!