Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

Re: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

Hey Mauser 7x57

i was was listening to Steve rinella on joe rogan podcast about trichinosis a couple months ago. He is something of an expert on the subject now since he GOT IT FROM EATING BEAR RARE last year. As you prob. Know Steve is a pretty knowledgable guy, but he took a dumb chance while filming for a show and he's paying for it.

Facts: - trichinosis is a worm that lives in the meat, it's not bacteria on the meat like salmonella
    - a large percentage of bears have trichonosis
    - a very large (almost all) big boars have it b/c they have eaten so many other bears that might have had it ie . they played Russian roulette with raw bear 20-40 times or so.
    - THERE IS NO CURE FOR TRICHONOSIS. DONT PLAY. ITS SERIOUS SH*t.
    - there are drugs to control it but you will have to take those drugs forever and you will have worms in your muscles forever

all the best and be careful out there

Asco

ps im excited to go harvest my first bear this spring ��
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Quote Originally Posted by Asco View Post
    Hey Mauser 7x57

i was was listening to Steve rinella on joe rogan podcast about trichinosis a couple months ago. He is something of an expert on the subject now since he GOT IT FROM EATING BEAR RARE last year. As you prob. Know Steve is a pretty knowledgable guy, but he took a dumb chance while filming for a show and he's paying for it.

Facts: - trichinosis is a worm that lives in the meat, it's not bacteria on the meat like salmonella
    - a large percentage of bears have trichonosis
    - a very large (almost all) big boars have it b/c they have eaten so many other bears that might have had it ie . they played Russian roulette with raw bear 20-40 times or so.
    - THERE IS NO CURE FOR TRICHONOSIS. DONT PLAY. ITS SERIOUS SH*t.
    - there are drugs to control it but you will have to take those drugs forever and you will have worms in your muscles forever

all the best and be careful out there

Asco

ps im excited to go harvest my first bear this spring ��

Not exactly correct:

you can treat the early , gut stages of the larvae
    you don't have to take the drugs forever, not even very long
    mild forms don't need treatment although most doctors would treat to reduce parasite load

and yes, freezing is unreliable.

If i get a small cut from my own knife while gutting (1cm) drew a little blood.
    Am i doomed? Should my wife trade me in?
    I am 3 weeks away from having the opportunity to seek a Doctor's advice... but that bear is delicious.
    See you down the road

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Sasquatch View Post
    I am 3 weeks away from having the opportunity to seek a Doctor's advice... but that bear is delicious.
    Judging from your avatar, your wife should trade you in.....regardless.

. Ouch
    See you down the road

Quote Originally Posted by charr View Post
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1330023110684

from the 2nd link..."It is important to note that most species of Trichinella found in wildlife are resistant to freezing, and, therefore are not eliminated using the freezing guidelines developed for pork; instead this meat needs to be well cooked."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1330023110684

from the 2nd link..."It is important to note that most species of Trichinella found in wildlife are resistant to freezing, and, therefore are not eliminated using the freezing guidelines developed for pork; instead this meat needs to be well cooked."
    Yes... It must be cook.

No point testing IMHO. Trich is only out of many nasties you can pick up from bears. Pretty much every bear has tape worms. You can usually find segments in the poop. Sometimes you can even glass worms hanging out of the bears arsehole. A tapeworm is more likely to mess you up than trich, so why to we focus on trich testing? Trich or no trich, you have to cook it properly or it can mess you up.

As far as trich infections being serious, yes they "can" be. The vast majority of trich infections never cause any symptoms. Those who do have symtoms, it depends on how many cysts they consumed. You would have to eat a fair bit of rare bear to get a bad infection. Only 1% of infections are fatal. Mostly symptoms involve stomach discomfort for a week or two while the worms replicate in the stomach. Muscle discomfort starts to happen as the worms migrate and encyst in the muscles. Rarely does trich need to be treated in any way and symptoms resolve in a few months. Yes they cysts will reside in muscle tissue for over a decade before dying off and getting absorbed, but they would not cause symptoms unless someone eats you medium rare.

That said if anyone gets their bear tested and it has trich, please feel free to bring it on over to my freezer!!

Also worth noting, eating stuff from the grocery store undercooked can mess you up just as well. People have tried to make sushi out of salmon that was not flash frozen have found out the hard way. Fwiw I'd rather have trich than e coli poisoning.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-31-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Sasquatch View Post
    How did you make out? I cut myself a couple times while getting this year and even worse, jabbed myself while cleaning up the rotting junk from the skull after soaking. Nothing looked too infected though.