Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

Re: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    I do not wish to sound like a smart ass here, but why would anybody pay $30.00 for a histo test to determine parasite presence in wild game. All wild game must be suspect automatically and handled appropriately. Cook all wild game well 170 degrees f internal temp for 30 min I believe takes care of these critters and handle with proper barrier protection when butchering. In other words practice safe food handling. According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present and nearly all fowl is contaminated with salmonella so you automatically consider everything suspect and contaminated and take the proper precautions in safe food handling practices
    I have to Disagree with that statement, Not all wild meat contains Trig....And pork is no longer a worry for trig. I'm a Chef by trade and have been eating Moose, deer, and pork Med rare to med. Bear meat I agree has to be cooked well done, and cooking for 30 minutes is over kill, as long as you bring it up to 170F and held there for 5 minutes nothing will live at that temp. I would still like to enjoy the meat....30 minutes i might as well eat leather... Im not an expert on the matter but if it was tested and there were no signs of Trig, well maybe you could enjoy the meat cooked a little pink and enjoy it that much more? $30.00 a small price to pay....

Cheers....
    DAM

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser7x57 View Post
    I have to Disagree with that statement, Not all wild meat contains Trig....And pork is no longer a worry for trig. I'm a Chef by trade and have been eating Moose, deer, and pork Med rare to med. Bear meat I agree has to be cooked well done, and cooking for 30 minutes is over kill, as long as you bring it up to 170F and held there for 5 minutes nothing will live at that temp. I would still like to enjoy the meat....30 minutes i might as well eat leather... Im not an expert on the matter but if it was tested and there were no signs of Trig, well maybe you could enjoy the meat cooked a little pink and enjoy it that much more? $30.00 a small price to pay....

Cheers....
    exactly...

I have also been told by some pretty reliable sources that if you freeze bear meet for 30 days it will take care of the trig. I have yet to try it out..

Trichinosis has been de-listed as a notifiable disease since 2000 by Health Canada,
    Health Canada records shows about 40 cases Nation wide for 1999,

way more chance of DYING , from a Deli sandwich at SUBWAY ,

than getting sick from any wild game meat in BC !
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    Trichinosis has been de-listed as a notifiable disease since 2000 by Health Canada,
    Health Canada records shows about 40 cases Nation wide for 1999,

way more chance of DYING , from a Deli sandwich at SUBWAY ,

than getting sick from any wild game meat in BC !

Thank you, Elkdom....I think people sometimes get so wrapped up in what the Media or a piece of paper says...Im sure 150 Years ago when settlers where eating nothing but wild raised meat the didn't think about this stuff...Im sure some of the stuff that come out of Fast food should be on Health Canada's Radar first.....Happy Eating...
    DAM

Quote Originally Posted by muledeercrazy View Post
    exactly...

I have also been told by some pretty reliable sources that if you freeze bear meet for 30 days it will take care of the trig. I have yet to try it out..

Jury's out on that one....I have heard so many Tales on the freezing side of it...Freezing doesn't kill everything...it is more of a holder so that more bacteria and worms do not grow. But i wouldn't;t say it is a way to kill. Cooking is the only way of fully assuring you have killed anything...
    DAM

Jury's out on that one....I have heard so many Tales on the freezing side of it...Freezing doesn't kill everything...it is more of a holder so that more bacteria and worms do not grow. But i wouldn't;t say it is a way to kill. Cooking is the only way of fully assuring you have killed anything...

That is correct, especially with wild game, and the freezing is one of the most often repeated wrongisms I have seen on forums. To kill this parasite, you must cook the meat, period. Here is what the CDC has to say, read it, and forget all the other shit people have told you, these are the facts:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...htm#prevention
    Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies.
    Support www.residentpriority.ca

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Lowering the corporate tax rates is a good thing, it gives corporations more profits so they can afford to give employees raises and other perks. OR if the company is on the brink of financial disaser it can help to keep those jobs for a while longer.

Cheers....
    You did not read my statement carefully. I did not say that all wild game contained tric. I said that all wild game must be suspect and handled accordingly. If you wish to eat pink meat have at er my friend, you are playing Russian roulette.
    Cheers& Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    You did not read my statement carefully. I did not say that all wild game contained tric. I said that all wild game must be suspect and handled accordingly. If you wish to eat pink meat have at er my friend, you are playing Russian roulette.
    Cheers& Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

I think you may be over reacting....For one...If you are eating a piece of meat that is from a roast or a Steak, The only way bacteria will be on the meat is on the outside of thew meat, there for when you sear or cook the meat to med-rare to Medium, you are killing anything that may be on the outside...Im sorry if im like to enjoy the full flavour and taste of the meat...Anyone can say the like wild game when it taste all the same because it is cooked to crap. By no means do you eat Sausage or Ground meat anything other then well done. There is a way to get bacteria into the meat. And if you do handle you meat properly(Hanging in proper temp, keep frozen properly, clean meat) you shouldn't have to worry anyways...You should try is some time...Take that nice sirloin roast and cut a couple steaks off it and have it medium...You will be amazed....
    DAM

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdan2061 View Post
    For bear I read some where that if it was frozen for 30 day's it kills the trick.
    That is 30 days at -20C or 0F just freezing is not good enough. Have heard that in the north there is a type of trick that resists this treatment?

There seem to be a number of folks out there who like to play russian roulette with trichinella. On a historical side note death by trichinella was a major hazard for polar explorers, marching gets pretty hard when you heart muscle is inflamed and failing or all other muscles are aching (and no ibuprofen!).
    I think in BC every bear should get cooked well, prevalence is 12%, (see here : journal.cpha.ca/index.php/cjph/article/download/256/256‎), funny that in the province where you do not HAVE to eat your bear (SK, AB) the prevalence is close to 0%. So with all the information, (as above, this is a good one: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...htm#prevention), who wants to be an idiot?