Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

Exclamation Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

This is for the Abbotsford location serving the Fraser Valley. To contact your nearest Ministry Of Agriculture Resource Management Branch to see if they do the test in your area follow link: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/Contacts.htm#RMB

In Abbotsford this is where to take a sample of your bear meat to get it tested for trichinella round worm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis).
    I confirmed this information by phone on Friday May 9, 2008. Please follow all the instructions.
    The cost is $30.00 plus gst.
    The following is required for the sample:
    A chunk (small fist size piece) of one or more of the following in the prefered order: tongue (best place to test), cheek, diaphragm, part of muscle.
    (Last year they told me providing all 4 would be best.)
    Packaged really well. Triple bagged. Fresh or frozen.

I talked on the phone to Murdena. She works in Animal Health where they do the test. She advised me of the following: The test you want is called the Histo test. They take a slide sample and examine it under the microscope.
    I advised her I would be posting this information on Hunting BC forum. I also checked, they do eat Tim Horton donuts, please addres the donuts to "Animal Health". For pr. purposes please let them know you heard about them on Hunting BC.

Your samples can be dropped off at the reception at the main entrance or reception at the other entrance to Animal Health.
    They are open Monday to Friday 8:30 to 4:30.

Here is their location:
    Ministry of Agriculture & Lands Resource Management Branch, Animal Health.
    1767 Angus-Campbell Rd.
    Abbotsford
    Phone 1-888 221 7141
    Exit 92 from Highway 1, Abbotsford Sumas north. (2nd street) right on Delair to Angus-Campbell Rd.
    See map below or :http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/Contacts.htm#RMB

How to Find Us

Last edited by pmj; 05-12-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

Moved to this forum as it deals with the food we eat!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Unhappy Re: Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

I do not wish to sound like a smart ass here, but why would anybody pay $30.00 for a histo test to determine parasite presence in wild game. All wild game must be suspect automatically and handled appropriately. Cook all wild game well 170 degrees f internal temp for 30 min I believe takes care of these critters and handle with proper barrier protection when butchering. In other words practice safe food handling. According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present and nearly all fowl is contaminated with salmonella so you automatically consider everything suspect and contaminated and take the proper precautions in safe food handling practices

Agree with eaglenester. And what would you do if the test comes back positive? Would you throw all the bear meat away? Or just take the precautions outlined above that should be taken when cooking any bear/pork products? And if that's the case, why pay $30?

I am no expert, but I thought I would share some information I have found. Thricinosis discussions have come up several times on this site during my membership, usually during spring bear season. I thought I would save time for people and post this information. I am not suggesting you pay to have your meat tested. In previous discussions on this site, some people have said they like to have their bear steaks rare.

quote eaglesnester/- "According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present"
    I thought the numbers would be better today since the Canadian pork marketing board for several years have advertised something about "it is ok to have pork pink".

quote Ron.C/ "And what would you do if the test comes back positive? Would you throw all the bear meat away?"

Some might, I wouldn't. I would make sure I take the necessary precautions.
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    I do not wish to sound like a smart ass here, but why would anybody pay $30.00 for a histo test to determine parasite presence in wild game. All wild game must be suspect automatically and handled appropriately. Cook all wild game well 170 degrees f internal temp for 30 min I believe takes care of these critters and handle with proper barrier protection when butchering. In other words practice safe food handling. According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present and nearly all fowl is contaminated with salmonella so you automatically consider everything suspect and contaminated and take the proper precautions in safe food handling practices
    You said it!

It's all hype with the wild game testing and I heard rumors that the Gov. is working on mandatory wild game testing policies. The Gov. just about ruined the beef and poultry industry in this province by over regulating and licensing it. Now so it seems they want to move on to wild game and hunters. It’s called Nanny Sate at work!
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    X2, Make sure the meat is fully cooked!!!!!!!!! 170F internal, freezing meat for at least 3 days at 4 F works on most game meat but I believe it doesn't work on Bear(not sure????) follow food safe handling practices!! Cheers
    Last edited by 300win; 12-21-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    "LIFE IS GOOD"

For bear I read some where that if it was frozen for 30 day's it kills the trick.
    When the sh*t hit's the fan ... You need a Redneck Man ......

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdan2061 View Post
    For bear I read some where that if it was frozen for 30 day's it kills the trick.

No not true!!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Ok, sorry for hijacking first off, but I am thinking of going for a spring bear for the first time this spring and want to know who everyone takes their bear for hams to? Will try to get the guy who butchered my doe to do it( tried his and it's the reason I want to bear hunt now) But baring that ....