Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
I do not wish to sound like a smart ass here, but why would anybody pay $30.00 for a histo test to determine parasite presence in wild game. All wild game must be suspect automatically and handled appropriately. Cook all wild game well 170 degrees f internal temp for 30 min I believe takes care of these critters and handle with proper barrier protection when butchering. In other words practice safe food handling. According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present and nearly all fowl is contaminated with salmonella so you automatically consider everything suspect and contaminated and take the proper precautions in safe food handling practices
I have to Disagree with that statement, Not all wild meat contains Trig....And pork is no longer a worry for trig. I'm a Chef by trade and have been eating Moose, deer, and pork Med rare to med. Bear meat I agree has to be cooked well done, and cooking for 30 minutes is over kill, as long as you bring it up to 170F and held there for 5 minutes nothing will live at that temp. I would still like to enjoy the meat....30 minutes i might as well eat leather... Im not an expert on the matter but if it was tested and there were no signs of Trig, well maybe you could enjoy the meat cooked a little pink and enjoy it that much more? $30.00 a small price to pay....

Cheers....