Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose up close and personal

sfire436 Guest

Re: Moose up close and personal

It's all wind direction boys ang girls

That guy's crazy, he is lucky she didn't snap and stomp the crap out of him.

That was really cool to watch. About ten years ago I had an encounter similar to that. I took a friend on his first turkey hunt in Illinois. I set my friend up at a woodland edge and then went about 40 yards inside the woodlot where I set up my calling stand. We heard a gobbler coming and I kept intently looking in that direction when I suddenly felt something nibbling on my ASAT camo pants. Afraid the approaching tom might see my movement I avoided looking around to see the cause of that disturbance. Finally I got annoyed as the nibbling tuned into biting and tugging. Slowly I moved my head just enough that I could see the culprit from the corner of my eyes.

When I saw what it was I almost wetted my pants as I jumped to my feet. The big 8 point 150 class whitetail buck stared at me for a second in utter disbelieve then swapped ends and crashed through the underbrush.

Needless to say, the turkey hunt was spoiled for that day but I gained a lifetime memory.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post
    That was really cool to watch. About ten years ago I had an encounter similar to that. I took a friend on his first turkey hunt in Illinois. I set my friend up at a woodland edge and then went about 40 yards inside the woodlot where I set up my calling stand. We heard a gobbler coming and I kept intently looking in that direction when I suddenly felt something nibbling on my ASAT camo pants. Afraid the approaching tom might see my movement I avoided looking around to see the cause of that disturbance. Finally I got annoyed as the nibbling tuned into biting and tugging. Slowly I moved my head just enough that I could see the culprit from the corner of my eyes.

When I saw what it was I almost wetted my pants as I jumped to my feet. The big 8 point 150 class whitetail buck stared at me for a second in utter disbelieve then swapped ends and crashed through the underbrush.

Needless to say, the turkey hunt was spoiled for that day but I gained a lifetime memory.
    Just one question......was this the spring ...calling in Gobblers?? Or can you also call them in the fall ......when a whitetail buck has his full head gear?? Right now the bucks have small nubs.

Loved the video!!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

That was the closest interaction with a moose, too cool.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gone hunting View Post
    I bet you couldn't have gotten a pin up that guys ass with a jack hammer.
    Awesome video.

So true , So true.
    R.I.P BiG Boar

2slow is offline Seeing any?-yup,last week

that would be a memory of a lifetime cool vid

Amazing video.

I don't think I would want to be that close to a cow moose with a calf.
    I'm sure his bowstring wasn't the only thing strung tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Just one question......was this the spring ...calling in Gobblers?? Or can you also call them in the fall ......when a whitetail buck has his full head gear?? Right now the bucks have small nubs.

Loved the video!!

SSS
    My bad. In the hurry I omitted the reason why I knew the buck was a 8 point despite it being spring and as you observed he was a button buck at this time of year. You can read the full article that I wrote in 2006 here.

"Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Loved the video was also waiting for the motherly instincts to kick in and for her to rear up and play slice and dice with her hooves..a mom with calf is pretty hard to fool and dangerous. Cool video.
    Steven