Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bear necessities

Re: bear necessities

No need to upgrade to a 12 guage. There are lots of bowhunters and hikers in BC that spend time in Griz country without guns and they are not being attacked in great numbers. I sometimes wonder how many bears are needlessly shot each year by anxious hunters who encounter a bear and feel the safest bet is to just shoot it. I say you are fine. If you find yourself in the extremely rare situation where a bear already has it in his mind that he wants you, your not going to have time to load any slugs in your gun anyway.You'll be hunting with a dog and the dog will most likely give you indication there is something wrong or there is a bear near you before you'll see it. There is a lot of books and websites out there on how to be bear safe in the bush. Take the time to read some, learn more about bear behavior, carry some pepper spray just in case, and be aware of your surroundings as you go. happy hunting.

Can of bear spray on your hip(not your pack), have it so it will come out quickly. Ive had a few surprise encounters with bears(blacks) in the woods and they have always high tailed it out.Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

It doesn't hurt to have a 12 gauge defender or guide gun slung over your back while you are birdhunting- It may give you more peace of mind than anything else- This is what I do whenever I have a good chance of crossing paths with grizzlies. They have alway's ran for their lives in the other direction when I have stumbled on them, but not everyone has been as lucky. A 338 win mag or 450 marlin should keep you healthy and in good spirits LOL.
    Timing is everything