Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bow build along...

Re: Bow build along...

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Polyurethane in satin. Just go into Home Hardware and look in the finishing isle for Minwax hand-rubbed polyurethane. You will see it is available in satin or gloss, I recommend the satin. Should get you about 1qt for $20, last you a good long while. Just apply it with a cloth.
    Will that bring out the natural colors in the wood? With the different woods especially the cherry Scott's bow should look awesome!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Maybe rub on some tung oil on first. I know it really brings out the color of the Ipe I've been using, and it really penetrates to keep dings from showing up.
    Cheers,
    Grant

looky, looky!! I've been busy..

I carved the handle, arrow rest & string grooves the other night with the aid of a cheapy rasp set that Canadian Tire had on sale. I also found that the small triangle file very handy. I used a chainsaw file that I had lying around.

Then last night I used a (colored) oil which has to dry for five days then I will apply a clear polyurethane coating over top.

here's some fresh pictures...

enjoy...
    Last edited by OOBuck; 01-27-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Looks good !!! But if you bring that to the next 3-d shoot does that mean you'll be shootin' from the ladies tee

Well, I'll save anyone time who is thinking of building a bow... Cherry is not a good choise. It seems that once I cut the taper into the limbs I noticed a few small black spots at the glue joints.. These were weak spots in the wood and the bow now rests in a shollow grave... On to the next one..
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Cherry has been done, but it's not considered a great bow-wood. Not when you can walk into Westwind in Sidney and get pretty decent Yew boards. Right next to the Yew (on it's right) is aeromatic cedar (which is a juniper) and it works really well for a center lamination.
    Try it again with some hickory on the back and some yew on the belly, it'll be a much easier bow to make work.
    Cheers,
    Grant

I wouldn't give up yet....you will need to break several to learn.

I was on number 5 before one shot more than a few times before breaking. It is now a few years old and has even survived the string breaking and a dry fire....I have not had great luck with subsequent attempts(3) either. But as baker says..it is all in the design rather than the wood...he made durable bows out of fir and willow.
    The bow i talk about it a maple self bow of 55 pounds at 29 draw.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)