Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bow build along...

Re: Bow build along...

This is a great thread! I saw the bow today and it looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see it once thinned , trimmed, and shaved. I think it is going to look awesome when you get it all finished and stained! Nice work Scott!

My guess = 30 - 33 pounds. LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Don't put too much pressue on it, it's very easy to starve a joint. Did you rough up the surfaces with a hacksaw blade? Because if the surface is somewhat grooved then you can apply more pressure. I like using inner tube strips best so far.
    Cheers,
    Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Don't put too much pressue on it, it's very easy to starve a joint. Did you rough up the surfaces with a hacksaw blade? Because if the surface is somewhat grooved then you can apply more pressure. I like using inner tube strips best so far.
    Cheers,
    Grant
    Oh it was rough enough just a $hitty clamp let go during the glue process and of the Canadian tire I had to run..
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Well...

After a clamp slip & a re-glue,, I'm convinced that the industrial solution cold cure glue is a bucket O ass... The glue didn't hold under the pressure, possibly old stock..

I'm going to start fresh and try G2 epoxy. I also noticed that it would have been a major pain to tiller the bow due to limb twist. I'm going to build a lamb sander attachment for my belt sander to make sure the thickness is consistent.

I'm abandoning the reflex/deflex and I'm going to build a flat version of a lamb bow for starter, good thing is I still have a bunch of lambs that just need sanding..

More to follow when I start on the new version...

Back at it..

I purchased some more cherry last night and was going to just cut the lams but I looked through my new belt sander instruction manual and what do you know!!! The sander comes with what the manufacture like to call a "sanding stop!" Silly them,,, if you leave one of the screws out of the so called sanding stop and only use the top hole & one bolt to hold the thing to the sander you can use it as an adjustable thickness tool.

I would not recommend this to anyone if your not willing to do bodily harm and possibly loss some fingers in the process.. So with the liability claim out of the way.. This work amazingly well and I had a fresh cherry & two hickory lams sanded to the proper thickness in no time.

I build two handles last go round so I shortened one and prepped all the parts this morning and there currently gluing now. I have made some changes including going to G2 glue looks & acts much different than the cold cure whether it works any better time will tell.

I will take pictures as soon as I can get it out of the jig..

Im such a kid I couldn't wait to dry this thing... I built a 5 minute
    oven..

SM oven

oven in use

not pretty but it works, I'll build a better one if it works out
    Last edited by OOBuck; 01-27-2016 at 07:29 PM.

The craftsmanshit on that oven is outstanding.

Check back to reply #17.

I told you duct tape would be used somewhere!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragginbait View Post
    The craftsmanshit on that oven is outstanding.
    I knew you'd like that!! Thats why I posted pictures.. I'll tell one thing though it cut the drying time in half.

New glue is the ticket!! G2 epoxy resin

I build a make shift oven out of styrofoam (yes & duck tape DB) and it worked great I most likely could have took the bow out of the jig last night but I waited till this am...

I decided to go with the reflex deflex but take the center section of 2x4 off the jig and just use the handle as the base.

I thought of something else I most likely did wrong last time I attemped this. I mixed smaller batches of glue and mix of glue for each lamb. This can cause an inconsistance mixture so the limbs could seperate due to a lowsy mix. So basically what I'm saying is mix up enough glue to glue the hole freakin thing together at one time. Once I was done gluing I use one clamp to hold the whole MESS together and then wrapped the plastic shrink wrap around the bow starting in the center and working my way out to the tip of the limbs, swap the clamp to the other side and then repeated for the other limb. This morning I cut the plastic off and tonight I sanded the epoxy and plastic left overs off the bow and now have it to a stage where I will now mark out the taper on the limb.

in the jig

more in the jig

fresh off the sander

look at the grains!!!! yowza

well its late and I think I have just about pissed off every neighbour with my sander, more to follow
    Last edited by OOBuck; 01-27-2016 at 07:30 PM.