Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Global Star "spot " rep

NEW Global Star "spot " rep

I recieved my new Global star SPOT unit..Satellite Personal Locater..and am one of their NEW Reps...will get it registered and using it ASAP...

I am always available for updates on its reliability use and positive/or negative results..

IT IS MUCH SMALLER THAN I IMAGINED...looks very well built..however its not a beauty pagent..its a survival tool..

Steven

2. Site Sponsor

Re: NEW Global Star "spot " rep

I think my parents want to send me north this year guiding with one of them to see how well they qwork and to track me all over the mountians. They sure are tiny and look very useful!

I will let you know how they hold up to horse abuse in october!

Hopefully they work better than their phones.

Steve...

Are you selling the SPOT and if so, for how much? And what about that "huge" discount for HuntingBC members?

Mike
    ________
    Inspire
    Last edited by msawyer; 02-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.

We have tried them out at work, didn't work well enough to be dependable, hope things have changed as they would be a great unit if they were dependable.

I have ALREADY had numerous calls lol and Deaddog that IS the # 1 concern RELIABILITY.. this DEMANDS reliability..far more than the sattellight phones are giving..we are trusting OUR LIVES with this...I have a telephone meeting with Globalstar next week and WILL be passing on the comments I have been given..WITHOUT FEAR OR FAVOUR..

I consider myself a honest guy..with a "reasonable " reputation in the outdoor arena...and am not about to jeapordize this by a free unit..

If it works I will tell you if it doesnt or is UNRELIABLE and can not be trusted then that also WILL be shared.....I am going to start carrying this unit in the choppers when I fly Medivacs..as well as when I go out hunting hiking fishing etc etc etc..and am going to report back on these forums what My real world experiences are....I already informed Globalstar that if the reults ARE NOT good I am NOT going to hold back my views...

I am not selling them..at least at this point...Globalstar realizes they have issues with their sat phones and have put some real effort into getting a "fix" in the meantime untilll the sattellight constellation can be increased and upgraded..

I honestly dont even know what they retail for... this unit was a freebee as a prostaff member and I have only opened it up and fiddled and read the directions ..I chat with the head office this week and will report the feedback and concerns so far...

I will ask about pricing..
    I will rport successes and failures equally..

The design looks very good , it seems rugged..and is a brilliant orange color thank goodness NOT camo...

It is far smaller than I thought it would be...

Any questions you can contact me by PM... or ssrupp@telus.net

Cheers

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 04-17-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Deaddog, I posted a while back about the "Find Me Spot" and you said you were testing it at work. Any update on how they worked out?

exellent question...Deaddog..what were your issues..??? Just unreliable??

Slow?

Curious Steven..lol

looked at these at the tradex show. Seemed like a great idea

The issue we had was unreliable signal, even downtown PG we could not get signal on a reliable basis, we did try it out backpacking, it tracked us for only a small percentage of the time. The concept is awesome and we were prepared to buy a number of them, however until the signal is 100 percent it will not work if you need to rely on it. If it is a "nice to have" it may fit the bill. Hopefully the globalstar will be able to have more dependable signal in both the spot and the phones as we have had to switch to another sat phone as well.