Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh so close - Turkey

Re: Oh so close - Turkey

Buddy of mine went out last week, heard a few toms gobblin from the roost. Headed their way, cackled a few times. Long story short 2 hours and about a mile later he shot his first turkey, had an 8" beard. I think he is hooked

Congrats to your buddy on his turkey.
    I hoped to get out today but when I woke up this morning @ 3:15am it was snowing hard. I really thought we were done with winter. Im going to try again tommorrow. Godd luck all.

Gunna head out on tuesday, hopefully my 6 year old can sit still long enough if we get into them. Where my buddy was he said there where lots of birds.

Well I did get out today.
    It seams the turkeys have gotten together and have chossen to make my life misserable. They are staying on privet land and dont seam to want to come into my calling. They are gobbling so I can find them, just not shoot them, YET. I did find a small area of crown land beside the posted land so Im going to try again this week when every other hunter should be working. Thats a HINT guys. STAY HOME !!! I did call and had 6 different toms call back so I think the best is yet to come.

On the up side I did see a HUGE LYNX. I go within 30' of him and watched him slowly walk away. Very cool.

Went out Fri, Sat, Sun near grand forks and Christina Lake. A few spots. Saw one jake and a hen, had a few calls answered with yelps but no toms in sight and heard no gobbling. The hen followed us around like a dog for over 2 hours. She would chase after us, sit next to us and purr when we set up. bumped into a few guys who were saying this year so far is much slower. Maybe too cold out still for the heat to really turn up in turkey town?

300 H&H, You are determined to get a turkey- that is cool !! There is no doubt that you bag more turkey's when you are out in the woods -as opposed to sleeping in LOL. I went through the same frustrating stuff you went through, but something WILL give eventually, keep hunting hard, getting up early and you will have your gobbler - It sounds like you are onto a pretty good spot- there is still time !!!
    Timing is everything

Thanks mark4.
    I have spent alot of time this year doing my homework and then getting out to hunt for my tom. Since my last post Ive been out 3 more times. Each time we/me get VERY close. Some times within 50 yards and I can hear the hens purr and give soft little clucks. When they are that close and a tom lets out a big gobble its very hard to sit still. But my set up just is not quit right. Either the birds are on the ridge above me or they are just inside posted land (happens alot) or a road hunter stops close to my set up and gives a horable locator call and the birds shut up and move on.
    The last time out Dad & I heard atleast 9 different toms plus some hens but they were quieter. We moved to a different place and we heard a bunch of hens so I'll try that spot next.
    You are right. You must get out & put in your time to get a bird. After opening week they smarten up fast.
    We did see 1 yote, and 76 deer (just 1 buck). Dad had a great time. Im lucky to beable to pay him back for all he has passed on to me.
    Now...if the turkeys will only cooperate.