Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Dinner

Making Dinner

Kill a deer. Any deer should do, in this case it's a blacktail.

take a chunk of it's hind end, and make a marinade with some garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, sea salt, fresh pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Chop up the herbs and garlic, and add the vinegar an oil. Or put it all int he food processor and mulch up.

Chuck the roast in the marinade, and smear the paste all over it. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit for a few hours or overnight.

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Making Dinner

Time for some veggies. Mark, just ignore this part.

Get some carrot, turnip, celery root,potatoes, and fresh herbs.

Peel the veggies (except potatoes) and cut into chunks. Toss with olive oil, loosely cover with foil and roast for about 40 minutes in a hot oven, stirring every now and then. Meanwhile, chop up the herbs. Remove foil, toss in herbs and S&P and backinto the over, Make sure they are getting nice and caramelized

Potatoes can be cooked however you like. I made these by putitng a little olive oil in the pan and adding some venison stock, the stock simmers away int he oven, the potatoes get browned, and you use the remaining stock to make a sauce

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

ROast the deer in the oven, size of roast will determine time. See how all the marinade turns into a nice tasty crust on the roast!

Make sure you let it rest minimum of 20 minutes before carving

Take the pan drippings and pour into a pot with stock form potatoes. Make a sauce from it. You can make a gravy or in this case I jsut finished it with butter to make a smooth sauce with the herbs from marinade.

Throw it all on a plate and chow down!

Set about 30 extra plates, gates!
    We'll be right there!
    Looks awesome!
    Helluva Blacktail as well!

Would you be interested in flying up here to cook that for me this weekend? I'll buy the beer
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Will you marry me!!LOL.
    That is the most scrumptious roast I have ever seen!!!
    My hat is off to you Gatehouse! Well done(the dinner I mean, not the roast).....Ron
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

You may prove useful around "elk camp" one day soon, of coarse the first 10 or 15 years you just get to cook and provide "camp counseling" hunters tend to be hungry and argue a lot the meal looks great
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Approximate oven temperatures?

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Would you be interested in flying up here to cook that for me this weekend? I'll buy the beer
    Sure, pick me up at the PG airport on Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Approximate oven temperatures?
    I used 450 for everything.