Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle / Bowhunter Trends

Re: Rifle / Bowhunter Trends

Greybark your comment about keeping the courses interesting is bang on !! Most of us that go to these shoots gor for the sport with no expectations of winning anything except maybe a door prize. If the clubs don't cater to this group and only set up the course or the categories for the top shooters then the decline will happen. To date this year I haven't seen evidence of this except may a reduction in categories so as willy says it may just be economics.
    courses have to be set up so they are not a torture test for anybody except a sherpa guide. With the growing number of kids I see at these shoots plus us seniors the walk should be invigorating and pleasant. My 2 cents MIKE
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Pullling this discussion back onto Bowhunting..... I'm not so sure that 3D numbers reflect hunting trends. While all hunters "should" practise with our chosen weapon and a 3D does that, many hunters don't want to "compete" with the weapon, don't have the time (at this time of year) and certainly the economics of filling the tank are factors.

As Greybark pointed out there is a decline in overall hunter numbers. All hunting organizations should aim to turn this around. IMHO while there are many reasons for declining numbers, there are four primary contributing factors in the decline of hunter numbers,
    1) poor (or unsuccessful) hunter recruitment by all hunting organizations,
    2) lack of government initiatives supporting hunter recruitment and LEH has to be the primary one,
    3) increased public/societal ambibalence to hunting
    4) gun registration

Comparatively, bowhunting provides a relatively regulation free access to the hunting world where one learns the appreciation of the experience of being outdoors and in pursuit of animal rather than the thrill of the kill (no disrespect to the successful hunter, just an accurate depiction of the effort required when using a bow).

It is important for bowhunters to convince government that bowhunting is, a legitimate activity - and not at the expense of the rifle - that can provide new and creative hunting opportunities. It is important for rifle enthusiasts (my roots) to understand that the bow may be the vehicle upon which hunting can continue. However the ongoing, protectionist attitudes of so many rifle enthusiasts, stymies any opportunity for new and exciting hunting opportunity.

JT

i've been thinking of getting a bow for a while now mainly for the 3d shoots. i was wondering how many shoots would be held roughly throughout the summer weekends in the lowermainland and surrounding areas. is there enough of them going on here locally to make it worth it or is it more of a rare event

I have a similar question as MH. Is there an active archery club anywhere near Langley (on the east side of the Fraser prefered)? I know the Langley had a range and short walk-through course, but it was in very bad shape last time I shot there.

Thanks!

Hey mainland hunter and LOC , Your best bet is Abbotsford, Ridgedale and Chilliwack . I suggest you scout them all as there are pros and cons to each. I belong to Chilliwack F & G and we have learner outfits along with instruction at no additional cost that ensures that you will like archery/bowhunting before buying your own bow. Archery is each thursday , 5:00 to 8:00 .

REMEMBER -- Keep You Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Mainland hunter ,Sorry I didn`t answer you question on the number of 3-d shoots on the lower mainland . Counting Burnaby and Custer USA there are 25 3-d events of which 6 are 2 day shoots.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

here is a link to a site that has a schedule for 3d shoots in bc..

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/3D.html
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Another extensive 3-d event list can be found at

www.kics.bc.ca/tbbc

REMEMBER Keep Your Fingertab On --

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

thanks for the info guys. i bit the bullet and went out and bought my first bow today. A Fred Bear Reaper 70# draw weight and 29" draw length. i'll still be mainly hunting with rifle but i'm pretty eager to start practicing with this thing, doing some 3d shoots and possibly hunt with it a bit come fall

i really wanna get one soon too..as soon as i can afford it...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer