Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grouse Ammo?

Re: Grouse Ammo?

i find the american eagles leave alot of residue in the barrel which leads to more cleaning

Hi! my son discovered at age 9 that shorts will ricochet off of grouse wing feathers, stick with longs or long rifle. slickfork

a quick question that is somewhat off-topic (sorry if it's considered thread jacking), but how would you figure out if your gun liked one brand of bullet over another? the grouping gets better or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
    a quick question that is somewhat off-topic (sorry if it's considered thread jacking), but how would you figure out if your gun liked one brand of bullet over another? the grouping gets better or something else?
    That's exactly it. The grouping of the shots will be alot more consistant. If you are sighting in a scope you'll find that every brand of ammo will hit different spots on the paper. For example I'm sighted in with American Eagle ammo and if I shoot CCI stingers they'll be about 4" up and right from bullseye. Don't know if you are a member of a range or not but get yourself some sand bags and start by sighting your gun in at 25yards and then go out from their to the yardage you want your scope to be zero'd in at. This is what I did and it seems to work great with my gun.

Thanx to everyone for their input. SHSABO I know what you mean about the extra residual build up in the barrel and I'm finding alot more brass filings in the receiver to. Kinda a pain in the ass cuz it's a lever!

Take care guys,

Plincker

hey Plincker, my brother and I are both getting our PAL & CORE courses done next week, so it's still a few months away from us being able to go to a range, but when we do, it will be interesting to see what happens.

thanks for that tidbit tho...it will help us when we do get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
    hey Plincker, my brother and I are both getting our PAL & CORE courses done next week, so it's still a few months away from us being able to go to a range, but when we do, it will be interesting to see what happens.

thanks for that tidbit tho...it will help us when we do get out there!

Good on yeah guys for takin the PAL and CORE and Welcome to the site. You'll learn heaps of info from this site, don't hesitate to aski questions. God knows where I'd be if it aint for the info on this site!
    When you get your paper work at the end of the courses send them away right away, especialy your PAL. Can take a few months too "Process" the paper work at the head office apparently.
    I definatly reccomend you get yourself a .22 as one of your first guns. Cheap to shoot, similar weight and feel of a higher caliber rifle but absolutly no recoil.

Plincker

it's cool Plinker! you're actually close to me, as I'm in Kamloops. soon as I'm allowed, I hope to hunt for small game...bird, rabbit and whatever else is legal or open season.

Speaking of dirty ammo and .22's ..... I was told that .22 ammo has alot of wax that gums things up
    I haven't tried it yet, but I heard the best way to clean your gun is to pour boiling water down the barrel until it runs clear and clean and them oil the crap out of it right after ????
    I have only put a few hundred rounds through my Ruger so far, but as soon as it starts to get sticky I am going to try the boiling water thing and see how it works

Anyone else hear of this or try it ???

My choice of ammo is CCI Mini Mags 36 grain . They are about twice the price of the cheap cheap stuff , but that is still cheap imo ....
    Last edited by Slime green cat; 05-03-2008 at 09:25 AM.

The only ammo that I have used that has the wax coating on it is the Remington Thunderbolt ammo. It's complete Crap and I don't reccomend it to anyone. Yeah it's cheap but it's cheap for a reason. 3 out of 10 shots are duds! The wax is supposed to act as a lubricant making it smoother to cycle through the action and it does leave a fare bit of residue in the barrel. I only shoot copper plated ammo through my Lever, it cycles smooth as it's more lubricated than the lead and it doesn't leave lead residue in the action and barrel.

Haven't tried the boiling water trick, makes sense though. I like using Wipeout, the liquid form not the foam stuff.

Plincker