Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse Ammo?

Grouse Ammo?

Hi Everyone,

I'm siteing in my scope on my .22 and I was wondering what you guys thought was the best .22 ammo for grouse head shots. I have been playing around with CCI's 710 and 1080fps bullets. I found that my gun (henry lever) likes shooting American eagle bullets. Nice tight groups at 50yards, plus a hell of alot cheaper too. But would a .22 short be better for grouse than the american eagle .22LR hollow points?

Thanx,

Plincker

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse Ammo?

I think you found your ammo. The American Eagle, if it shoots nice and accurate out of your gun, then that's the one I would use.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

My Mark II likes the bigo' brick of Winchesters(Wallys special, 500 rounder!!)

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnes50 View Post
    I think you found your ammo. The American Eagle, if it shoots nice and accurate out of your gun, then that's the one I would use.
    I'd concur.
    If the rifle likes em, shoot em.

Any shot to the head will be a killer but I'd prefer the hollow point LR round for hunting.
    Shorts IMO are for safety, such as shooting pigeons inside a barn. They lack penetration thus less holes in the roof.

Stick with what works...

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I have shot grouse (head shots ) with a .410, 30-30, and with my 300winmag. All are successful when well placed and the conditions are good for such overkill.
    I think you have your answer already, but if you would like to try some experiments, try hiting a bottle cap at 25 yrds and 50 yrds and that will do two things, burn ammo if you miss lots or improve your skills when the season opens and there is a mess of grouse waiting to be tucked into your bag.
    Just my .02 worth
    Rob

what ever gives the best accuracy use it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    try hiting a bottle cap at 25 yrds and 50 yrds ...

plincker is a pretty good shot, and has no problem punching out 12ga primers at 30yards..... better than i am anyways
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    plincker is a pretty good shot, and has no problem punching out 12ga primers at 30yards..... better than i am anyways
    Thanx for the compliment Fixit!

Yeah I think I'll stay with the American Eagle ammo. But what do you guys think about the hollow points versus the round nose bullets for accuracy?

thanx guys,

Plincker

Probably sub-sonic solids are more accurate from what I've read, but I find hollow points to be OK. I think it's the gun more than the ammo. Some guns can shoot almost anything and others really like one type of ammo. I used to buy only hollow points for my Marlin 56 and it is very accurate with them, but then again, it shoots everything OK.

It seems you found what your gun likes though. That's the great thing about .22's, you can shoot lots and it doesn't cost much.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

seriously? I've never even contemplated what 22 ammo to buy whatever is the cheapest. For practice go out to the range and place thumb tacks at the 25yrd target, when you can consistently take them out your ready.