Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Built Quad Trailer for game recovery

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Home Built Quad Trailer for game recovery

It looks good, but I was wondering if you have tried hooking it up to your atv. The post that comes up with the winch on top is a great idea, but if you don't hit it when you are level how will it be when you go into a hole and back out. I say this because I have built a few atv trailers and needed enough room in that pinch point so I made the reach longer so it didn't hit my rear box or rack. Otherwise it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Poguebilt View Post
    Thats the "wifes" car in the background
    Yep, that's her pride and joy, '06 Mustang GT...Parked for the winter but not back on the road yet, still some gravel out there....

She let me drive it once, but when I hit 160 in 3rd gear she took away my privilidges
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRun View Post
    Nicely done!
    Something is very very wrong though I dont understand how you have all that "free" room in your garage/shop.
    18' by 36' garage, then extended the roof line another 8 feet out to give myself another 8 by 36 for storage....Won't show you the other side of the garage...pretty scary....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

How much weight can those tires handle? Would it be able to handle a moose?

Quote Originally Posted by 6616 View Post
    Here's mine, 1/4" aluminum plate and 2x2 square stock, tig welded.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showp...00&ppuser=3468

Helps to have a pro welder as a hunting partner.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I'm also planning on building one (having one built I should say, can't weld) on the same concept as Rocksteady. This is what I have in mind, basically a copy of the Mountain Goat Trailer adapted to my needs. Here's a picture I got from another site (forget the rack and fuel cans). I would use it mostly for moose hunting behind my Argo. I would put a winch mount for the detacheable winch on my Argo on the tongue side (on top of where the ammo can is on the picture). Back up the trailer to the downed moose, transfer winch from Argo to trailer, winch the moose in the trailer and drive back to camp. Walking beam axle will make for a smooth ride over anything.

bcsteve, do you have any pics of that walking beam axle set up? Gives a guy some ideas. Thanks.

Sure do. I got those picture from a guy in Alberta who built the trailer in my first picture. It's meant to be used with a trailer hub for the pivot.

rocksteady:

wicked looking trailer! just a thought.....if your atv fits on the trailer, then you can dual purpose the trailer. haul your atv on the trailer behind your truck, then when in the bush haul the trailer behind the atv. you may have already thought about that..thought i read that you were gonna pull the trailer and atv on another trailer.

steve

Great ideas, built a trailer for myself last season, got to try it out with having 700 lbs on it, half a Chetwyne moose. Worked great. One thing that I did do was have a hitch that swivels. When your quad is on a sidehill and the trailer is not your tongue will twist either breaking or it will effect your ride with the quad. Works great, can't feel the trailer even with the load. Only problem I did have was coming down a steep hill to camp, breaks were a little iffy. To explain the swivel idea, its a tongue with a inside outside cylinder toungue with a pin through it. Trailer is 5 ft. long and 4ft. wide, wire mesh deck with pockets for side railes. Also tilts, rear winch on the quad and up she comes, worked great.

I love the trailer, but I'd be going for an electric winch, hand winching a big animal might be tougher than you think!
    SHIT HAPPENS! Usually when the big one decides to show himself!