Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom Made Hunting Trailer

Talking Re: Custom Made Hunting Trailer

Couple questions.........No offense intended, just curious.

I like the construction method - strong, weatherproof, good materials.
    ....but....
    Vapor barrier protecting fiberglass insulation from interior moisture wasn't shown. If it's heated how will you ventilate? Seems to have no window(s).
    If the roof is loaded (snow) will the pitch still be sufficient to prevent pooling?
    Is wiring able to accomodate 110V as well as 12V? Any drain for liquid disposal? The only reason I ask, is because the pics aren't obvious.
    Nicely done otherwise and thanks for an interesting post!

Re: Custom Made Hunting Trailer

Yes we did use hat track for the ceiling joists, from our old tin shed. I think the total cost so far is an est. $3-4000. Yeah sounds nice johnes50, can't wait to try ours out this year. Haha were gonna put a camper style ceiling vent in it, and either camper style windows or possibly port style windows like that of those in a sail boat. Not sure how much it weighs i'd est. 900-1800lbs, the steel frame isn't very heavy, then you have the steel studs which way practically nothing, plywood, insulation, and the fibreglass.

Your right chuck, no vapour barrier was installed. We will have a ceiling vent, and some form of windows. The lights are 12V but we also wired in a 110V outlet. The pitch should be enough to prevent pooling it certainly won't hold rain water not sure how snow will react though especially at extreme cold temperatures, but its plenty strong enough. No, there is currenty no drain.

That is a real hunting trailer. I would love to have something like that. What is its approximate dry weight?

Good looking rig, looks like it would float !
    Add an air-con, it'll double as a cooler, if the roof supports quarters ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

should make it partially a reefer. have you own temp controled cold storage. now that would be SWEET.

That looks like an awesom trailer. I am sure it will do you well. In 2005 I had a custom built cube added unto a f350 chassis. It was done professionally by Collins in Fort Langley. From the outside it looks like a budget moving van from the inside it is an awesome hunting tool. I put an aluminum floor on to make clean up easy. I put 2 drains in the floor (very very important for washing out blood) I put 2 vents in the front and 2 on the side (when I drive on the road I have a nice breeze going thru) the walls are insulated and are a type of plastic used in meat hauling trucks, so I can keep them clean. I also put in 3 removable bars with custom made meat hooks. The bars are very high quality such that I can hang 1 moose per bar as I often hunt with more people. I also put in a hoist/lift in case there is no one with me and I need to get a moose quarter into the truck. There are also lights inside the cab and of course my quad fits in as well. If anyone is building a similar trailer to AnthonyMoth and wants to see mine or talk to me, please feel free to contact me
    Last edited by Dad and son; 04-02-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: needed to
    "Remember all boys grow up wanting to be just like dad"

one question. how will it handle while being towed? i see no aerodynamics there. just a big box. will it not totally knock down any fuel economy on your truck?
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

No I don't think the roof would support quaters, it's just hat track and fiberglassed plywood. It's been towed home already and seemed fine (99 f250 with 5.4 triton v when we go hunting it will be towed with a 2000 f350 7.3 powerstroke diesel, there are alot of travel trailers that have a flat front end too, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

looks like a winner!!!