Thread: Momarsh FatboyDP duck boat review

Threaded View

Momarsh FatboyDP duck boat review

As some of you have seen or heard I picked up a duck boat this winter. After doing some research on other duck hunting boards, boat manufacturer’s websites and chatting with Ian F. I narrowed it down to this boat. It's a Momarsh Fatboy Dual Purpose or FatboyDP.

It's made out of fiberglass and weights around 90 lbs. It's 13 feet long and 4 feet wide in spots. It has a channel design bottom and is an extremely shallow drafting boat( 4 inches of draft with a full load of 550 lbs or 2 inches empty) that can be used in a shallow marsh or on the open water for divers.

I wanted something I could use in the estuaries where the ducks wanted to be with scarce cover that the ducks felt secure and little to no pressure from other hunters in the area. I also wanted something I could use in the open water of sheltered bays for hunting blue bills, golden eyes and pretty much what ever came into the decoys.

Most places I hunt gets lots of pressure along the shore line where there is lots of cover, now I can set up where the ducks want to be when the pressure gets hot.

Here is my FatboyDP that I loaded up into my Ford Ranger by myself with little effort.

As you can see in the last two pictures a small outboard,electric or mud motor can be hooked up to this low profile boat. All it takes to put on or remove the removable transom is 3 wing nuts. The transom is small enough that it can be removed and hidden inside the boat along with the motor to give a low profile in the marsh or you can remove it and stash it on dry land somewhere near your set up and pick it up at then end of the hunt.

Even with a 70 lb dog standing on the back of the boat the motor is less then a foot underwater making it great for shallow marshes, lakes, or estuaries. I plan on painting the motor and transom a color similar to the boat if I can find it or drab green.

I have the dog door blind kit and the Invisagrass but haven't put it on yet. Ira from Momarsh is sending a Max 4 Camo deck cover for the boat that allows you to secure grass and brush to bungee cord all over the deck cover. When it's all said and done it's a layout blind on the water or marsh edge with a spot for the dog directly behind the shooter. I'll update this thread as things come together.
    Last edited by Marc; 03-30-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor