Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Momarsh FatboyDP duck boat review

Momarsh FatboyDP duck boat review

As some of you have seen or heard I picked up a duck boat this winter. After doing some research on other duck hunting boards, boat manufacturer’s websites and chatting with Ian F. I narrowed it down to this boat. It's a Momarsh Fatboy Dual Purpose or FatboyDP.

It's made out of fiberglass and weights around 90 lbs. It's 13 feet long and 4 feet wide in spots. It has a channel design bottom and is an extremely shallow drafting boat( 4 inches of draft with a full load of 550 lbs or 2 inches empty) that can be used in a shallow marsh or on the open water for divers.

I wanted something I could use in the estuaries where the ducks wanted to be with scarce cover that the ducks felt secure and little to no pressure from other hunters in the area. I also wanted something I could use in the open water of sheltered bays for hunting blue bills, golden eyes and pretty much what ever came into the decoys.

Most places I hunt gets lots of pressure along the shore line where there is lots of cover, now I can set up where the ducks want to be when the pressure gets hot.

Here is my FatboyDP that I loaded up into my Ford Ranger by myself with little effort.

As you can see in the last two pictures a small outboard,electric or mud motor can be hooked up to this low profile boat. All it takes to put on or remove the removable transom is 3 wing nuts. The transom is small enough that it can be removed and hidden inside the boat along with the motor to give a low profile in the marsh or you can remove it and stash it on dry land somewhere near your set up and pick it up at then end of the hunt.

Even with a 70 lb dog standing on the back of the boat the motor is less then a foot underwater making it great for shallow marshes, lakes, or estuaries. I plan on painting the motor and transom a color similar to the boat if I can find it or drab green.

I have the dog door blind kit and the Invisagrass but haven't put it on yet. Ira from Momarsh is sending a Max 4 Camo deck cover for the boat that allows you to secure grass and brush to bungee cord all over the deck cover. When it's all said and done it's a layout blind on the water or marsh edge with a spot for the dog directly behind the shooter. I'll update this thread as things come together.
    Last edited by Marc; 03-30-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Momarsh FatboyDP duck boat review

Please lots of pictures mark i'm very interested in one of these as well.And of course how you got it up here.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Yeah Marc,I've been thinking about one of those for years!I use the layout blinds for field shooting,and I thought the Fatboy would be great in the marsh and the river edges I shoot up here.How DID you get it up here,and what kind of money did it take?I keep reminding myself that I need to win the 6/49 NOW!!! Gunner

With the Canadian dollar where it is the only painful part was the shipping. I think without looking for the receipt it was around $375.00 in shipping. Plus a $60 crating fee. It came fairly quickly like within a week of when it was fabricated and being the off season it only took two weeks to get it made. I ended picking it up at Van-Kam Freightways after making a visit to customs to pay some taxes.

Here is their price list. I seem to recall them telling me that there boat prices where going up by 10% after March because of increase in cost of fiber glass.

http://momarsh.com/pricing.html

I compared them to the other duck boats out there and the FatboyDP seemed to be better priced and had a better layout setup for a man and dog team. One of the competitions boats without shipping was the same price just for the boat as it was for me to ship the boat and everything else to my place.
    Last edited by Marc; 03-30-2008 at 08:17 PM.

BCWF

The dog loves it so far but he makes me nervous as he gets up and moves around on the front while we're underway of the motor. He's still growing into his legs and is pretty clumsy. I'll be posting pictures from the garage to the marsh as things go together.

BCWF

Smile Re: Momarsh FatboyDP duck boat review

That's very interesting.....maybe a guy should figure out how to make a mold?
    Maybe stick on some weatherproof carpet so the dog has better adhesion?
    I think this would be more stable than a canoe for those fishing trips to little isolated mountain lakes too! Love that little Suzi!!!

Great looking boat Marc. Looking forward to pics of it in action.

I was luckily enough to see Marshal's boat shortly after Marc picked it up and the first thing that I noticed was the fit and finish, second to none. The two halves are very well bonded together making a strong ridgid seam, without the vinyl cover up that most use.

Seeing one in person was long awaited for me as I've been oogling momarsh boats for years! The DP is in a class of it's own, really not comparable to my Aquapod, except for style and method of hunting.

I'm looking forward to the fuller report, and especially some update reports as the season opens and you get some time in her. Now we just need someone to get the original fatboy too!

Very best,

Ian

Had the FatboyDP out again today but this time it was in my Dodge Dakota. You can work it in the back of a ranger but it fits so much better in the mid to full size class. I had the boat pushed a bit to the left in the back of the box so I could lay the motor next to it on the right.

I had Marshall my Chesapeake bay retriever out with me on Quamichan lake this afternoon to get him used to traveling in the boat before fall. The boat plained so much better when he was either standing on the bow or inside the boat with his feat on the bow. You could hear the difference in the motor as well as there was less resistance. If Marshall came back to where I was at the back of the boat it would cause the part of the back deck to dip an inch or so underwater. If he was up forward the deck on the back of the boat was out of the water. I still haven't tried it yet with 2 men and a dog to see how it trucks along. It's rated for 550 lbs so it should handle two guys over 200 and an 85 lb dog.

Had the opportunity to fetch Marshall out of the water and back into the boat today. He was messing around on the bow of the boat and lost his footing and fell in. It was just a matter of grabbing his collar/ scruff of his neck and pulling him in. The boat is sloped pretty good and it's a low profile boat so it didn't take much effort to get him back in and he's over 70 lbs.

I'm hoping to have the deck cover on hand in the next week or so and I'll continue with putting the door blind together so I can practice with the dog in his position so he knows what he's supposed to be doing by next fall.

BCWF

Nice Boat Marc. I use to take my kyak down to Cow. Bay to hunt ducks in the grassy channels in the mud flats and did quite well. But my kyak was not stable enough for my dog Dextor and I so I stopped doing this. I have some camo netting you could have if you want to use it to cover your boat. I hope I have done this Quote thing properly
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Had the FatboyDP out again today but this time it was in my Dodge Dakota. You can work it in the back of a ranger but it fits so much better in the mid to full size class. I had the boat pushed a bit to the left in the back of the box so I could lay the motor next to it on the right. Nice boat Mark. I have some camo netting you could have to cover your boat. I use to take my kyak to Cow bay and hunt ducks out of it but I can,t take my dog Dextor in it so I stopped going. P.S. I hope I have done this quote thing right.

I had Marshall my Chesapeake bay retriever out with me on Quamichan lake this afternoon to get him used to traveling in the boat before fall. The boat plained so much better when he was either standing on the bow or inside the boat with his feat on the bow. You could hear the difference in the motor as well as there was less resistance. If Marshall came back to where I was at the back of the boat it would cause the part of the back deck to dip an inch or so underwater. If he was up forward the deck on the back of the boat was out of the water. I still haven't tried it yet with 2 men and a dog to see how it trucks along. It's rated for 550 lbs so it should handle two guys over 200 and an 85 lb dog.

Had the opportunity to fetch Marshall out of the water and back into the boat today. He was messing around on the bow of the boat and lost his footing and fell in. It was just a matter of grabbing his collar/ scruff of his neck and pulling him in. The boat is sloped pretty good and it's a low profile boat so it didn't take much effort to get him back in and he's over 70 lbs.

I'm hoping to have the deck cover on hand in the next week or so and I'll continue with putting the door blind together so I can practice with the dog in his position so he knows what he's supposed to be doing by next fall.