Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new crossbow hunting ?

Re: new crossbow hunting ?

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I really don't know why people are so opposed to Crossbows and hunting with them. They are another way to hunt, and if all of the comments about recruitment and retention on this site are true, people should be supportive of members taking up different methods, rather than trying to slam them.

For example: the thread about crossbows not being "archery" and not being allowed in "archery season"....There is not a significant difference between the compound and crossbow, as far as effective range etc...IMHO, we are comparing Mac Apples to Golden Delicious Apples, not apples to oranges....Not like we are comparing old musket black powder (where you are lucky to hit a fridge at 50 yards) to an inline loader (where you can get 2" groups at 100 yards.

If its not your cup of tea, don't use one...But don't disrespect others because they decide to...
    Exactly, plus for some people....medical reasons prevent them from using the heavy drawn Compounds.

My father in law for one, is getting more and more into Bow hunting ..mostly for the extended season... however there is no way he can draw a compound. With a crossbow and the available cocking device, it is a great combination.

Unfortunately, i have shoudler injuries on both shoulders, and anticipate getting a crossbow in the near future as well.
    "Know your Land, Know Your Prey" - Mantracker

"I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel."Roderick Haig-Brown

www.nrgcbc.ca

Try drawing a compound when you are twenty yards from an alert derr!!! You don't have to draw a x-bow just pull the trigger. Sounds like a ffffffffirearm to me.

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Try drawing a compound when you are twenty yards from an alert derr!!! You don't have to draw a x-bow just pull the trigger.
    Getting within bow range of a deer takes skill and patience. It's not like a bowhunter is "cheating" because one small aspect of it is a little bit easier.

Sounds like a ffffffffirearm to me.
    Actually, a crossbow makes a "twang" sound, just like a bow. A firearm sounds more like KA BOOM. Glad I cleared that up for you.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Try drawing a compound when you are twenty yards from an alert derr!!! You don't have to draw a x-bow just pull the trigger. Sounds like a ffffffffirearm to me.
    Good grief - you're just a one-man propaganda machine aren't you? Spewing the same old flawed rhetoric year in and year out hoping you'll get some new guys who haven't heard all the same ole nonsense before.

If you took two seconds to consider the situation, you'd realize that to get that crossbow out of your lap (or off the hanger, or whatever) and aimed at the vitals of that deer, you have to make some pretty significant movement - every big as significant as how much you make when drawing a bow (heck, you blink wrong with a deer inside of 20 yards, and it might spook). And no, you can't sit there with the bow already pointed at the deer while it wanders in for a shot - a 7 to 8 lb crossbow being held in the 'ready-to-fire' position will cause intensely painful muscle fatigue within minutes (ask me how I know) - not much better than a compound bow with a high let-off as far that goes.

(p.s. - nobody saw this; I'm still on HBC vacation for a while yet).
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Right on Brutus , excallibur is a great choice in bows. I have recently upgraded to one myself and I love shooting it. ignore onesocks anti crossbow propaganda but he is very right on the 40 yard thing, A handy thing I do in my pre season prep is to see how far I can shoot 3 out of 3 arrows into the killzone of a deer freehand and then take my max range in practice and reduce that by 10 yards for when im out in the field, also remember that if the animal is close enough to "jump the string" and is aware dont take the shot , even if you can put an arrow into the killzone at the distance the animal is the killzone of the animal can move by the time the arrow reaches that point. good luck on your first bow hunt.
    I am a member of..
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

This has jack $hit to do with the post, I think most would agree keep your opinions to yourself...
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Quote Originally Posted by OOBuck View Post
    This has jack $hit to do with the post, I think most would agree keep your opinions to yourself...
    Everyone is free to post thier opinion at HBC.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

holly crap, I did not no that a simple question would spark a big debate like this,to me it is all about the hunt ,rifle,shotgun,longbow,crossbow,compoundbow they are to me a weapon of personal choice,as long as it does the job,Idont nock people down for using the weapon of their choice,as long as they take kill shots only,my two cents.Thanks to all the one whith the good advice,the other one Icould not care less about what they have to say.RICHARD

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Everyone is free to post thier opinion at HBC.

Whatever you do don't mention the RCMP road block over here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brutus View Post
    holly crap, I did not no that a simple question would spark a big debate like this,to me it is all about the hunt ,rifle,shotgun,longbow,crossbow,compoundbow they are to me a weapon of personal choice,as long as it does the job,Idont nock people down for using the weapon of their choice,as long as they take kill shots only,my two cents.Thanks to all the one whith the good advice,the other one Icould not care less about what they have to say.RICHARD
    Well put!

I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to mention the word CROSSBOW's, did I say CROSSBOW? Hummm those CROSSBOWS are great but whatever the mear meaning of an individuals interpretation about CROSSBOWS has to do with the original post I don't know. I just thought I would bring that to light. CROSSBOW CROSSBOW CROSSBOW, ARCHERY ARCHERY ARCHERY, SEASON SEASON SEASON!!!!