Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new crossbow hunting ?

Re: new crossbow hunting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Kinda takes the wind out of "hard to learn to shoot well" argument!!

After 6 shots from my buddys compound, I shot groups liek that, too...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

How did Steve Irwin put it. "NOW THATS A CROCK" LOL

Thumbs up Re: new crossbow hunting ?

thanks for all your reply, that is wat I wanted to ear.LOTS of time to practice till bow season opens up,LET you guys no how it goes,sorry for the speling, frenchguy trying to tipe in english

Get to know your weapon, practise with it on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any problem. Please don't think you can shoot 40yds at a live animal though. Find someplace to take an IBEP course.

How did Steve Irwin put it. "NOW THATS A CROCK" LOL
    You are a little too eager to pass judgement...I think I have pics of my shots with my budies compound. I will see if I can post them. It may not have been quite as tight a group as the benchrest compound, but it was plenty good to kill a deer...

I got 3 arrows into about 3"AT 36 yards...after not using a bow for over 20 years...I think that is good enough for deer.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

It seems there is a lot of talk about accuracy in archery. In Bowhunting there are many more factors to consider. Until you've hunted with a bow and attempted to take an animal with a bow, you haven't experienced.

Being a good shot, or having a bow that will make a good shot is but one small part.

Get to know your weapon, practise with it on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any problem. Please don't think you can shoot 40yds at a live animal though. Find someplace to take an IBEP course.
    Onesock.
    You don't know me from Adam...For you to call bullshit on a simple post stating the accuracy of the Excalibur crossbow is downright wrong.

The next thing you post is please don't shoot animals at 40yds with a crossbow,hell I don't remember even posting that I was considering hunting at 40yds with the crossbow.
    I fully appreciate your comments,but please don't take posts made about the accuracy of a certain brand of bow as a chance to call me a liar or assume myself to be an irresponsible archer..oops crossbow hunter.RB

Ruttinbuck I never called bullshit on your shooting. I apologise if you took it as such. As you stated you are new the sport 18-22nd shots with your bow. I was merely asking you to not shoot at animals at that distance. But, being new to the sport you should still take an IBEP course if possible prior to hunting with your new x-bow.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Being a good shot, or having a bow that will make a good shot is but one small part.
    Just like any other type of hunting....

However, a number of times I have read about how using a crossbow isn't really "bow gear" beause it's too easy to master shooting one. Modern compounds arent' much different in that regard.

They sure are much easier to master than the traditional long bow I took my first deer with!

I really don't know why people are so opposed to Crossbows and hunting with them. They are another way to hunt, and if all of the comments about recruitment and retention on this site are true, people should be supportive of members taking up different methods, rather than trying to slam them.

For example: the thread about crossbows not being "archery" and not being allowed in "archery season"....There is not a significant difference between the compound and crossbow, as far as effective range etc...IMHO, we are comparing Mac Apples to Golden Delicious Apples, not apples to oranges....Not like we are comparing old musket black powder (where you are lucky to hit a fridge at 50 yards) to an inline loader (where you can get 2" groups at 100 yards.

If its not your cup of tea, don't use one...But don't disrespect others because they decide to...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main