Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NewZealand hunting

NewZealand hunting

Well the trip is almost over! i'll be back on the 30th and will be workin by the first, but the vacation has been great! Lisa and I caught a heli ride into the mountains of the south island and hiked the 30km back out while hunting thar. we did see a few thar but were never able get a shot. Oh well, the scenery was worth it! I tried my hand a Sitka deer hunting with a fellow named Scott in Napier on the north island but again got skunked. Finaly i met up with James, a dairy farmer and serious hunter. We used his buddies (Marc's)hunting lodge as a free base camp and shot ducks, puk's, possums, rabbits, goats, turkeys, and just about anything alse that crossed our path! Nothin like spotlighting rabbits with a semiauto shot gun from the back of a quad! The lodge we stayed at was first rate and was perched on a hilltop surrounded by the beautiful new zealand country side. we were able to wake up and watch a couple of fallow bucks goin at it while red deer and wild goats looked on. It was an excellent trip and I would definitely recomend it! The price to travel to and hunt NZ is surprisingly low and the hunting is essentialy free. I will post some of the contact info for Marc and James when i can track it down. One of Marcs paying clients that we were bunking with shot a great 7X7 red stag the second day we were there as well. A great trip over all!

Last edited by Tank; 05-25-2005 at 08:53 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: NewZealand hunting

This was about the biggest billy of the 30 or so that we shot.

Tank,
    Awesome pics!!! I am really jealous.
    red neck pick up lines:
    do you have a library card, cause I'd like to sign you out.
    if Yer gonna regret this in the morning, we can sleep til the afternoon
    You might not be the best lookin girl here, but beauty's only a light switch away.
    Your eyes are as blue as window cleaner

What happens to all the goats after you shoot them? Also are those native or farrel(sp) goats?
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

those are ferral goats, on private forestry blocks. because they have no predators in NZ their numbers can get out of control really quick. so hunters with permission can access the block and are encouraged to shoot as many of them as they possibly can. the goats are usually left for the wild pigs to eat, or if the number of goats shot is exceedingly high they will be hauled out to a dump or burned.

p.s. all big game animals in NZ are introduced species and therfore are not regulated in any way whatsoever.

You should have had a gold pan on the south island Tank. There is more placer gold there than there is around PG! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Thanks for sharing the photos. NZ looks like a beautiful place

Here is a link to Marc's website for his guiding operation. www.bigskynz.com It would be a great outing for sure. Not too many places you can sight in your rifle on a couple a dozen goats before hunting red stag and fallow deer. Not to mention getting to shoot clays to pass the time at lunch, or exchanging your rifle for a big knife and taking the dogs out after wild boars!

F.Y.I. return ticket from vancouver to auckland = $1100
    Last edited by Tank; 05-26-2005 at 02:50 PM.

I am JEALOUS!!!!! Awesome.