Thread: High Mtn. Apparel

High Mtn. Apparel

Just a little curious as to people's preferences to clothing in the the alpine? I'm in the market for a good set of high tech pants and jacket(s).

2. Site Sponsor

Re: High Mtn. Apparel

Just a little curious as to people's preferences to clothing in the the alpine?
    There are not many days that you can get by without, but it is exilarating. Becareful of the high UV, and the bugs will be bad when its calm.
    Make sure your warm gear is close-by, as the weather can change quick.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Gotta be gore tex, US Army surplus is the best bargain I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    There are not many days that you can get by without, but it is exilarating. Becareful of the high UV, and the bugs will be bad when its calm.
    Can create some interesting photo ops too, I might add.

Buy Gore-Tex. 100% waterproof, breathable (somewhat) and lightweight. Lots of manufacturers to choose from.

I have a couple jackets, one from Sierra Designs and one from MEC (I know, I know) and some military surplus pants, in camo, which so far have all been pretty much bombproof. Have had several of the waterproof/breathable knockoffs and the performance never really came all that close to Gore-Tex.
    Have also heard good things about Cabela's MT050 rain gear, you may want to check them out too.