Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who wears Scarpas?

Re: Who wears Scarpas?

I will wear Scarpa's soon, just bought the ones off the exchange... They will be my spares/bum around/training boot (I already have a good pair of Lowa's).

Troutseeker

Well, I'm wearing them as I type. Not even broken in yet and petty comfy, I just need a new insole for them (right now I've got my duty boot inserts in them...). A solid boot, this one is more a heavy backpacking hiker than a true mountaineering boot, but it would do fine for a summer/fall sheep hunt. Good support, nice stiff sole.

Best deal I've ever had to boot!

Troutseeker
    Last edited by troutseeker; 04-09-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinehunter View Post
    Has anyone thought of going to a Viberg boat made in victoria??

I use a caulked pair of vibergs for forestry work and once broken in they are amazing. After a 8-10 hour day hiking around on very steep slopes (40-90%) I am in no hurry to take them off, I usually drive back to the office before removing boots.

Only drawback is they take me about 20-30 working days to break in, but I do get about 250-300 days in the field out of them (which is many years for the average hunter). As with any all leather boot they need good care, treated every 10 days.

You can order them in any type of leather and many models and sole options.

Food for thought!

Yes, I bought a pair of their insulated hunter boots in the heavy water buffalo leather and air-bob soles. Very nice boots, but heavy as all heck.
    The reason I bought at Viberg, is that I have a wide foot, as in 4E....not many off-the-shelf boots will fit my feet, and they customized a last for my fit.
    The problem with these vibergs is the blisters I'm geting whilst trying to break them in. It's brutal. An easy 3 hr hike gives me blisters on the backs of my heels at the achillies insertion that take 2 weeks to heal. That's with a sock liner and moleskin. I do dread lacing them up to continue with the break-in, as it's my feet that are getting broken.

Anybody got tips for breaking in these boots??

I ended up buying some Rachile's from MEC. They fit a wide foot. First time out with them and they're perfect! No blisters or even hot spots.

Sounds about right for Vibergs...Worn out about 4 pairs working, and am currently working on a 5th pair.

A little athletic tape on your achilles will do wonders.

I have tried meindl's , van gorkum's and Scarpa's, really had no complaint about the scarpa's, just didn't seem to fit me as well as meindl's, the Van Gorkums were garbage, didn't last one season and were not even water resistant, regardless of treatment, 800 bucks for boots that last two months didn't cut it, I am back to meindl's they last me two seasons. So far I have found nothing that will last longer. I would say go with what "fits" you the best.