Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a jet boat - making the right choice

Re: Buying a jet boat - making the right choice

I have to agree outboard jets are definately not the way to go. Also for packing anykind of weight I would agree a 350 is the minimum in a boat 19-21 feet. I have been in a 19ft northriver with a 305 and it is fine with a couple of guys but when you load it down with gear it just doesn't have the power. A 383 is a pretty good motor weighs less than a bigblock but gives out some pretty good power. As for a diesel I think you would need to run your boat a helluva lot to make up for the extra purchase cost and matinence cost will also be higher for a diesel.
    It aint easy being green

I have an 60/40 4 stroke outboard jet on a 16' aluminum boat. The boat only ways less then 700 lbs with the motor. It is suprisingly tough and can take a hit for the boat it is. I bought it as a learning boat and I really wanted to get out on the water. It is what I could afford at the time. It will go really shallow and takes a pretty good load when running skinny (4 gas cans, 4 adults, 2 kids, 2 toddlers and picnic basket and cooler of refreshments) and still managed about 3 gallons an hour of burnt fuel on the pine river. I have fished in are local lakes with it to. Not for the chuck.

I would class this boat as a good fun family friendly boat, it is by no means an outlaw or wolffmade or shuman boat and I do plan to own a boat like the shuman built boat one day, but it gets me out there with the family and we have fun. I would not hesitate to take this boat up the tuchodi once I get a little better at reading water. As soon as you get over the fact that "rubbins racin" the boat gets alot more fun.

I have some pics so if you pm me I will gladly e-mail them to you.

I wouldnt mind a picture or two . I have a 15/16 foot aluminium console boat that needs an engine and i am weighing my options.

no problem Barracuda, send me a e-mail addy and I will send them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by daycort View Post
    I have an 60/40 4 stroke outboard jet on a 16' aluminum boat. The boat only ways less then 700 lbs with the motor. It is suprisingly tough and can take a hit for the boat it is. I bought it as a learning boat and I really wanted to get out on the water. It is what I could afford at the time. It will go really shallow and takes a pretty good load when running skinny (4 gas cans, 4 adults, 2 kids, 2 toddlers and picnic basket and cooler of refreshments) and still managed about 3 gallons an hour of burnt fuel on the pine river. I have fished in are local lakes with it to. Not for the chuck.

I would class this boat as a good fun family friendly boat, it is by no means an outlaw or wolffmade or shuman boat and I do plan to own a boat like the shuman built boat one day, but it gets me out there with the family and we have fun. I would not hesitate to take this boat up the tuchodi once I get a little better at reading water. As soon as you get over the fact that "rubbins racin" the boat gets alot more fun.

I have some pics so if you pm me I will gladly e-mail them to you.
    Daycort,
    Let's go buddy. Leaving for Tuchodi middle of September. We will stop by St. John and pick u up! Get your horse trough ready for some action.RAMSHOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshot View Post
    Daycort,
    Let's go buddy. Leaving for Tuchodi middle of September. We will stop by St. John and pick u up! Get your horse trough ready for some action.RAMSHOT.

I would loved to go man.....my wife is getting a little pissy about the other hunts I have planned already. If i strike out on sheep during my first hunt, then maybe. We will get together up there one year for sure though!!!

stay away from the sport jets.i bought a brand new 2005 210 merc sport jet ,and they are just plain pigs on fuel,compared to the small blocks.im considering selling mine

While the earlier sportjets are fuel hogs (they don't make them any more) the new optimax sportjets sip the fuel. I've had an 18 foot harbercraft 200 opti for the last 3 years and I run it on the fraser at about 6 gph running about 38 mph (measured using smartcraft monitor and gps). I had it on a hunting trip up north last year with 3 guys, supplies and camping equipment for a week and I averaged 7.5 gph. It is a light boat less 1400 lbs dry. Gets up on plane fast and runs skinny.

I have owned 2 sport jets. A 240 and a 2007 200 Opti. Both excellent motors and both great on gas. Do not listen to the anti sport jets on fuel economy. While some smaller V6 and V8 get great fuel mileage, the sport jets are still a little better if set up and running right. If you are planning on running a smaller lighter boat to play in the skinny water or go that extra mile, you can not beat the sport jet for power to weight to fuel ratio. The big knock is they are very noisy as they are 2 stroke. Also their life expectancy will not match a 350 or 383.

One thing to remember is they way a fraction of a bigblock or even half of a smallblock 383. Also a 16-17 foot boat with a sportjet will give you the same interior room as a 19' with a big motor. Of course the larger motors can run heavier loads but I have yet to load my boats down with more than I can get on step with. I have had 3 guys and all our gear for 14 days plus 145 gallons of gas and have got on step no problem.

Also remember a sportjet HP rating is at the nozzle...very important to know. A 200 opti has 200 true HP at the nozzle. A 350 HP rated bigblock loses some in the gearing etc and then loses about 30% with a pump. 30% of course is an average rough guess by most people. So a 350 HP motor can easily be down to the 250 HP range real quickly. Of course the torque is way higher hence the good hole shot and ability to pack weight.

It really comes down to personal preference and use of the boat. If you want small and light you have to go Sportjet. If you want a larger roomy boat with huge payload in mind....go 20-22 feet with V8 or 383 stroker and Hamilton pump.

Diesel powered jet boats??

Hmmm...I've got an idea.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!