Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobile radios

mobile radios

Well this is a subject that I have zero experiance with.I have rented a sat phone once and other then that I have no clue.
    What I am wondering is, are the radios in a foresters truck able to comunicate only with a base and other mobiles or do they function as a radio phone as well.I remember as a kid getting calls from my dad at work way the heck back in the bush.
    I am looking for some form of comunication for my truck.Please educate me on this topic. I am all ears..
    Koot

2. Site Sponsor

Re: mobile radios

Yeah, you can have a radiotel operator connect your VHF to a phone number. They will also connect to other mobiles and handhelds. Marine is a different band (set of frequencies) though.
    My dad was a forester too and my post is based on 25 years ago...probably not the same now.
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Koot View Post
    Well this is a subject that I have zero experiance with.I have rented a sat phone once and other then that I have no clue.
    What I am wondering is, are the radios in a foresters truck able to comunicate only with a base and other mobiles or do they function as a radio phone as well.I remember as a kid getting calls from my dad at work way the heck back in the bush.
    I am looking for some form of comunication for my truck.Please educate me on this topic. I am all ears..
    Koot

First of all tell us where you live and where you would be using the radio...

Why I ask is if you are in an area that has good cell coverage, problem solved....Buy a cell phone, buy a truck road channel radio...You are done....

However, if you are in a non cell area, there are several options - Truck mounted sat phones, free hand sat phones and not sur if auto tel is even still available or not...Others may be able to tell you....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

It justso happens I instal communication sites through out our awesome province and have lots of experience with two-way radios for the woods. Autotels are being phased out and therefore have limited areas to work in, I still take mine with me but every year the coverage deteriates. Sat phones are expensive and need to see over our mountains and trees to work, and both these only talk to other phones. The radios that loggers use are VHF two-way and can only be used with other radios that have the same freq. programmed into them, All commercial radios require licensing and authorization for using frequencies not leased by you. Now in the real world we walk into the local radio shop order a couple of field programmable portables, a frequency list book, program the frequencies into your radio for the area you hunt and be on your way. Be careful not to intrude on those that have the legal right to the frequencies in your area. You can also purchase government pre-approved radios from outdoor stores but their range and quality are extremely limited. Just a start if you want more info let me know.

My son-in-law and I were out sledding a month or so ago. He is a SAR person and had a Sat phone (Goblestar) with him. At an elevation of 6100' (1860m) and an unobstructed view, he could not contact PEP HQ in Victoria. He tried his cell (Rogers) and had "no service", he ended up using my cell (Telus) to make the connection. Much as Telus can piss me off, it's hard to beat their mobility service.
    Now, if the Federal Government would allow GMRS to use 5 watts like they can in the USA, then the outdoor persons would have a more reliable form of communication.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Yeh, If your son-in-law had been using the Iridium sat phone probably no problem, but Globalstar has had issues with their satellites. I too have Telus cell because of its better coverage through our province but this system is based on user volume and generally means towns and cities. For the average hunter a couple of two-way radios so they can communicate with each other and appropriate road freq. for the area would serve them well.

I am in the west kootenays,not so good on the cell coverage.
    So a hand held would be better then a truck radio? I guess you could always have the hand held with you.Not many spots the cells work in the mountains here.Some up high but few and far between.
    Koot

Ah the Kootenays, I guess Nakusp, New Denver etc, yeh there's very spotty cell coverage. I don't know how well Autotel works there but could find out if need be. With regards to truck radios and portables( hand helds) they both do the same job the difference is the truck radio would have 25watts of transmit power and the portable 5 watts. Of course the truck radio would have a heck of a lot more range than the portable but you can't pack it around. Again you still need to program freq. that will work with either the roads in the area or some one you can talk to. Here's what I do, it's probably illegal and I don't think Forestry would approve but I program my radios with the Forestries repeater freq. and codes for the area I'm hunting, therefore if there was a life and death emergency I could always reach help anytime. Only for emergencies! if there were consequences so be it.

That is the info I am looking for.I just like the idea of reach out in an emegency.Last season I was first on scene in 2 bad crashes.One on the highway and on with a guy on a quad going way fast untill he hit a tree.ouch The highway crash,the rcmp or fire fighters could not get there sat phones to work in the location we were at.All the rcmp got out was crash,fire crew on site,hospital.That is the the info that made it back to the husband/grandpa of the lady and little girl in the car.When I talked to him at the hospital he was sure that they were burned bad.Poor guy!After this I make sure I have a a good first aid kit,blanket,and crow bar in the vehicle.
    Anyway,now that my son is along alot of the time I want to get a good safe setup.
    Koot

I have been able to use my cell phone at the very top of a mountain in the Macgregor's while snowmobiling.