Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows archery equipment?

Re: Are Crossbows archery equipment?

I'm going to a recurve this year then next year I think maybe I'll get real good a throwing knives! I heard all x-bow hunters have short bolts!

Isn't it all about being out there and challenging oneself to get good enough with your chosen gear to get in close and ethically take the animal with real confidence? If a hunter can do that only with a gun at 200 yards then okay use a gun, using a x-bow at thirty yards then okay use a x-bow, with a compound at 20 yards okay use one, with a recurve at 15 yards then use a recurve, or with a hand-made stick and string at 10 yards then okay go whittle your gear...

Just don't drive around on your quad with a loaded gun or a cocked cross-bow!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Tinney View Post
    Most of us are really bored with this debate
    So if everyone is bored with it why do`s the topic keep coming up. And if you are bored with it quit blabbin about it.

[quote=The Hermit;257679] I heard all x-bow hunters have short bolts!

quote]

Size (length) doesn't matter and I am always fully-cocked, not half cocked like some...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
    So if everyone is bored with it why do`s the topic keep coming up. And if you are bored with it quit blabbin about it.
    I'm not blabbing about it. BW is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinney View Post
    I'm not blabbing about it. BW is.

Morning Tinney....Ready for another day of internet debate??? Glad to see you back..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I used to like the Broadstreet Bullies with Bobby Clarke/Leech/Parent/Hammer Shultz....They did not take any crap...and could play hockey too...
    Yep, I remember 'Cement Hands'...more for fighting than for hockey though. Kinda like Gino Odjick suddenly scoring goals!

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    I hear ya, but do you think that a xbow is as difficult to learn technique?, close to the same in practice time to become good? as either a stick or compound would be?
    I don't and don't feel that it is in the same class as a bow and thus should probably be in its own class like the black powder rifles? Just throwin out thoughts to ponder.
    IMO - crossbows are an entry level type of archery equipment. They let a lot more people get into the sport of archery (be it hunting, target, or 3D) than any other type of equipment. That, to me, is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Walker ... I hate it when you suck me in like this .....

It is no secret that I dont like Crossbows and that MY personal opinion is that they are not archery equip and Base my opinion on the fact that you do not have to hold a cross bow at full draw with muscular power like you do with a Compound or stick ..... and.... you can "cock it" and set it down while waiting for the critter to come in so the perceived movement that an animal will see is far less than if you have to draw a "conventional" bow.

I do know of a shop with a 50 yard indoor range that sell crossbows but is not allowed by its insurance company to allow the use of Xbows on its range because of the fact you can set it and forget it

NOW! That all said ... I realize that the Province of BC does reconize a Crossbow as archery tackle and I fully accept that.

Therefore Yes a Crossbow is archery Equipment in the Province of BC
    Mike - I thought specifically about you and your ideas on crossbows when I was typing up this thread.

The ability to "cock and safe" a crossbow is - I'll admit - very "rifle like". But the inability of a crossbow to take game animals at anything approaching the extended range of even a slug throwing shotgun places them firmly in the realm of archery equipment.

Similarily, (in some ways) having a Concho type or a Carter type release on the D-loop of a compound bow does minimize a bit of movement and attention refocussing when the critical moment comes....n'est pas?

The fact that crossbows shoot a bolt, and don't use any sort of powder to propell a projectile, definitely class them as a bow. Yes I think you should be able to hunt with them. You still need to get close to game in order to make a clean kill. Personally, I think the crossbow is no more benefitial or easier to use than a compound with sights and a release.
    My problem is people that shoot beyond their personal and equipment limitations, regardless of what they are shooting. Last year, we ran into a guy on our elk hunt who was bragging about hitting an elk in the spine at over 70 yards with a crossbow and expandable broadheads! That is a guy that needs to take a real look at what ethics are. But we also had a young girl in our area who used a crossbow with her guardian present and took an elk. Try telling her that a crossbow isn't considered a bow!

bowwalker what about the new stryker xbow at 405 fps with a stock and trigger and a scope . the prov. says its archery so i guess it is. But at a price tag of $1600 plus tax i don`t think to many archers will be packing one.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
    bowwalker what about the new stryker xbow at 405 fps with a stock and trigger and a scope . the prov. says its archery so i guess it is. But at a price tag of $1600 plus tax i don`t think to many archers will be packing one.
    Still only effective (for hunting) within 50 yds or so. Hopefully the shooter who uses one of these has well practiced ethics - which is another thread topic entirely.

$1600 for hunting equipment is not considered expensive these days. Guns that are scoped with moderately priced scopes can get up there and beyond in pretty short order.

It all depends on the level of 'comittment' by the sportsman/sportswoman.

More than a few bowhunters started with recurves or longbows then as you get older the injuries start piling up and eventually they give it up reluctantly. A crossbow is the perfect tool for those who still want to get out in the bush maybe take on a critter with a broadhead.