Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows archery equipment?

Re: Are Crossbows archery equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I wasn't trying to set you up, i was just trying to draw a similarity to the archery scenario. No matter what you set for regulations of one or another, someone is always going to try to find a mechanical/technical advantage to over come the restriction....

I don't sit on the fence, I just don't care if there even is a fence...
    I certainly didn't think that you were trying to set me up, I know where you were coming from and agree in general with that. It was more a comment that I knew I was going to stir some sh$t and ddi it anyways but didn't want to offend anyone and certainly respect that everyone has there say and can do what they choose within the regs.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    ???? What's shack nasties? I'm old, remember. It must be one of those new fangled sayings of the "younger generation"

btw - what's the rent on your sig line? Just in case I had anything important to say that is.....
    Shack nasties = cabin fever. For fifty bucks you can put whatever you want in my sig line I'm strapped

I have owned and shot recurve,compound,and cross bows and I don't see a big diff in preformance between a cross bow and a compound.I think if you really want to seperate archery equipment it should be between sights and no sights.

Bow Walker Guest

Tinney - cash strapped - that's a pertinent sig line if there ever was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Tinney - cash strapped - that's a pertinent sig line if there ever was one.
    Tinney....blows all his money on expensive fishing gear

I've owned and shot all kinds of bows over my 30+ years of archery.
    Why is it that x-bows need 125# { compound } and 150# { conventinal limb }to shoot an arrow, but the regular vertical bows only need 40# within your draw lenght to shoot an arrow.
    Cause x-bows only have a short power stroke and need that kind of draw weight to get an arrow to even shoot half decent. A 16-22" bolt sheds energy real quick and is unstable at longer distances than a longer arrow shot out of a vertical bow.
    Some x- bows 225#, 350fps, my X- Force 60#, 340fps
    Nothing wrong with x - bows. When I can't pull and hold my compound I'll proable shoot a x - bow, so will a lot of you other people just cause you love to BOW hunt.
    Some wives,girlfriends can't pull and hold a 40# bow but can shoot a x- bow, you going to tell them they can't BOW hunt cause it's a x - bow.
    I can shoot a 6-8 inch group at 90 m but would never ever even consider shooting that far at an animal.
    Recurves were around before long bows, maybe they shouldn't be aloud to bow hunt with them.
    just my 2c.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Everyone is getting along to good .So i will say crossbows are not archery simply cause you can walk around with it cocked . But the prov. say its archery so its archery .

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

Where I'm from many tags are archery or rifle- it seems we get quite a few guys riding quads scouting for rifle season carrying a crossbow. I don't think it's wrong, and I can see why they enjoy it, but I just wish we had to choose one or the other to decrease the traffic. The statements are very true about a good compound and a crossbow being pretty competitive. We own a crossbow that we let guests plunk does with now and again, and we can teach anyone who's shot a gun to use a crossbow out to about 30 yards in 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't even think of letting someone shoot my Mathews for 20 minutes, then go hunting with it. On another note, if anyone should want their own season, I think it should be those guys shooting stick bows- those of us shooting high speed have a pretty big step up on them in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
    Everyone is getting along to good .So i will say crossbows are not archery simply cause you can walk around with it cocked . But the prov. say its archery so its archery .
    Most of us are really bored with this debate

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

and just because I feel it is my obligation...........real men pull real bows.