Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows archery equipment?

Re: Are Crossbows archery equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Aha, so now we have another subject that is contentious in my eyes,
    In my eyes, I don't care, as long as it shoots an arrow, by way of a string, propelled by limbs, its archery...

I don't really think any restrictions on rifles and shotguns is necessary, except in light of public safety (slugs on some of the Gulf Islands, so you don't accidentally whap a neighbour on another Isle with a .243)

All forms of archery have the same limitations - Distance /trajectory/etc etc...

How would you enforce such tackle...??? Would be an absolute nightmare...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Jeez Rock, you're as old as I am!!

Remember Eddie Bauer playing defense for the "Leaves"??
    I saw him in Vanc., giving one of our guys a "ride on the hickory" between the legs. Ouch, said he in a much higher voice - almost saprano-like.

I used to like the Broadstreet Bullies with Bobby Clarke/Leech/Parent/Hammer Shultz....They did not take any crap...and could play hockey too...

"Yes" Crossbows are archery equipment.

Who say otherwise?
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    You mention magnifying scopes on crossbows Tom-a-Hawk...

...there are four pictures that accompany the article by Steve Galea - oddly enough, not one of those pictures shows a crossbow with a scope on it.

Putting a scope on a crossbow is like putting a 4X magnifying glass in my Spot Hogg Real Deal (which is the sight that I hunt with), it doesn't make the shooter an instant expert marksman, it only clears up (and brings closer) the sight picture. The shooter still has to "make the shot" so to speak.

A miss with a scoped crossbow is just as easy to do as is a miss with a compound, or traditional bow - with or wthout sights on them.
    I hear ya, but do you think that a xbow is as difficult to learn technique?, close to the same in practice time to become good? as either a stick or compound would be?
    I don't and don't feel that it is in the same class as a bow and thus should probably be in its own class like the black powder rifles? Just throwin out thoughts to ponder.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

probably be in its own class like the black powder rifles?.
    Sooooo, just to make the muddy water a little muddier....Which Black Powder rifle season are you talking about???

An old flint lock that is not capable of 5" groups at 100 yards or

The new inline muzzle loaders that can group under 2" at 300 yards??

See the similarity....

Walker ... I hate it when you suck me in like this .....

It is no secret that I dont like Crossbows and that MY personal opinion is that they are not archery equip and Base my opinion on the fact that you do not have to hold a cross bow at full draw with muscular power like you do with a Compound or stick ..... and.... you can "cock it" and set it down while waiting for the critter to come in so the perceived movement that an animal will see is far less than if you have to draw a "conventional" bow.

I do know of a shop with a 50 yard indoor range that sell crossbows but is not allowed by its insurance company to allow the use of Xbows on its range because of the fact you can set it and forget it

NOW! That all said ... I realize that the Province of BC does reconize a Crossbow as archery tackle and I fully accept that.

Therefore Yes a Crossbow is archery Equipment in the Province of BC
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Walker ... I hate it when you suck me in like this .....

It is no secret that I dont like Crossbows and that MY personal opinion is that they are not archery equip and Base my opinion on the fact that you do not have to hold a cross bow at full draw with muscular power like you do with a Compound

NOW! That all said ... I realize that the Province of BC does reconize a Crossbow as archery tackle and I fully accept that.

Therefore Yes a Crossbow is archery Equipment in the Province of BC
    Good attitude Bowzone, have your own opinion,but also respect others and not get bent....PS...I shoot an x-bow...Please don't hate me...

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Sooooo, just to make the muddy water a little muddier....Which Black Powder rifle season are you talking about???

An old flint lock that is not capable of 5" groups at 100 yards or

The new inline muzzle loaders that can group under 2" at 300 yards??

See the similarity....
    I don't mind a good debate but I ain't stickin my head on the bullseye and answerin that one. At least I didnt call you on the xbow when you said it shoots an arrow! I'm like Bowzone, I knew this would stir it up good, but that's the way I feel and like I said sit more on the fence now that I'm an old fart.
    Last edited by tomahawk; 03-10-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I don't mind a good debate but I ain't stickin my head on the bulleye and answerin that one. At least I didnt call you on the xbow when you said it shoots and arrow! I'm like Bowzone, I knew this would stir it up good, but that's the way I feel and like I said sit more on the fence now that I'm an old fart.

I wasn't trying to set you up, i was just trying to draw a similarity to the archery scenario. No matter what you set for regulations of one or another, someone is always going to try to find a mechanical/technical advantage to over come the restriction....

I don't sit on the fence, I just don't care if there even is a fence...

I hear ya, but do you think that a xbow is as difficult to learn technique?, close to the same in practice time to become good? as either a stick or compound would be?
    I don't and don't feel that it is in the same class as a bow and thus should probably be in its own class like the black powder rifles? Just throwin out thoughts to ponder.
    I have some fuel for your fire,,, I recently purchased a new bow the new space aged short axle to axle looking type. After shooting barebow all my life I relized that I wasn't going to be able to shoot my new bow bare. I added sights and a release and now shoot 3" groups no problem. I can't believe I never shoot sights before!! So, are new compound bows so technically advanced that they should now be considered archery?
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster