Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump or Automatic

Re: Pump or Automatic

My first gun was also an 870 Wingmaster. I used this gun for almost 30 years although I bought many others. I always ended up with the old Wingmaster when I found myself questioning my shooting with any of the newer guns. When my kids came along, I didn't hunt much so the 870 worked out fine for the few occasions I went out.
    A few years ago I hooked up with Ol' Dan and got back into serious waterfowl hunting. I was lent a Ithaca/SKB XL900 auto from my buddy Tom and I shot it well, I really liked the feel of the gun and found I felt less recoil. I decided to look for an auto. I ended up with a Browning auto-5 mag that a guy at work was selling from his fathers estate. This gun fits me well and I've probably shot more birds with this gun than in all the years I used the 870 combined. I also bought an SKB autoloader (same as the Ithaca, which SKB made) and I use it for upland and the occasional duck hunt. I doubt I'll shoot the 870 much anymore other than to revive the memories of hunting with dad and past hunts.
    For me, the auto is my #1 gun.
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by spock View Post
    I have both that is why I'm asking I've got a BPS and a Browning Gold. I got the automatic because it is faster but it seems like I put a lot more holes in the sky than I did with the pump.
    I shoot a lot of birds with my third shot but we decoy birds in close. Like CF mentioned, you have to learn what is a quality shot and not throw out the "Hail Mary" long bombs that are low percentage kills and high percentage misses or winged birds that aren't recovered.
    Dan
    Last edited by Dano; 03-07-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Learned to shoot with an old Ithaca pump my father found on a beach way back when he was about 16 (mid 50's). He got it all fixed up and shot it for many years. After we literally wore that poor old gun out, then progressed to a Remington 1187 Premier Auto with a custom fit stock that he shot. After he passed, I got the gun and still shoot it today. Fits like a glove, afraid to change until it won't shoot anymore. Brought down lots of ducks and geese!!
    When the day is done, one must celebrate the hunt!

aya s/s or my favorite gun my beretta xtrema neither ever let me down and have both killed thousands of birds, whilst pest controling ,upland game shooting and waterfowling not to mention rabbits
    Last edited by ROEBUCK; 03-07-2008 at 04:50 PM.

I started with a SxS and now I use a Remington 870 Express Super Mag Syn. Fits me perfectly.

Longshot

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

870 express- but I'm buying a Benelli SBE II before next season- I can't wait.

I started out with a Savage pump, but a few years back I bought a Beretta A390 auto and will never go back.

I started a SxS 20 3"gauge ithica then after a couple of years went to a Winchester 2 3/4"pump model 1200 If i remember correctly. Then my dad got a rem. 870 express 3" Used that for a few more years. Now I have the winchester sx2 but I am now going to the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 but I am keeping the SX2 as my back up. I still have the 870 for my boys and two girls when they get old enough.

This is an argument that will never ever go away. I have listened to for over 40 years. First as a dependent of a US Army MasterSgt with combat in Germany and Korea. Then I had to listen to it after I joined the Navy and got sent to the Marine Corps for another 20 years. That was the favorite subject at the rod and gun club in Bad Kreuznach Germany over a few beers after shooting skeet all afternoon. All of the kabitzers were prof solders most with combat experience and they could never agree on which was a faster, better shotgun, automatic or pump.

I prefer an auto over a pump, has nothing to do with speed more to do with keeping on target.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF