Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump or Automatic

Pump or Automatic

What's your preference for waterfowling pump action or automatic.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Pump or Automatic

How much money ya got??

First gun for me was a 16 ga. sinble shot - loved that gun. shot my first greenhead with it, in Buttertubs Marsh. Then shot my first double with it out on the Nan. River estuary.

Next was a 12 ga. Mossberg pump from Crappy Tire. I thought I was in heaven - until I realized the amount of ammo I was using compared to the number of edibles I was pluckin'. Tried awful hard to take my time and aim after that.

I tried an auto for a couple of hunts. Went thru a pile of ammo then, I can tell you. Way too easy to fire that third shot when it wasn't doing any good.

My fav? a pump action.

For me I preference automatic way more faster.
    30-06 all the way

Learned how to shoot ducks with an 870, bought my first shotgun an 870 express pump, then sold that and moved up to a winchester sx2(auto) then bought a browning citori o/u. I still use the auto for pretty much everything I do and the gun fits me like a glove, I can say when I first got it the first couple hunts I really went through the shells but ever since then I've noticed myself only trying to take 2 quality shots instead of 3 random ones into the air.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Remington Automaster 878, 2 3/4 12 ga.
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

Waterfowl 3 half inch pump upland 20 gauge.

hard to beat a pump, I used a BPS 3" for years and was happy with it. Now I got nothing, borrow a Nova 3.5" when I go out the few times I do now.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Learned how to shoot ducks with an 870, bought my first shotgun an 870 express pump, then sold that and moved up to a winchester sx2(auto) then bought a browning citori o/u. I still use the auto for pretty much everything I do and the gun fits me like a glove, I can say when I first got it the first couple hunts I really went through the shells but ever since then I've noticed myself only trying to take 2 quality shots instead of 3 random ones into the air.
    Sounds just like me! I learned with my 870, then moved on to the SX3. All I need now is an O/U to finish the cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

I've got them all, single, S x S, O/U's, Pumps and Auto's, well not all I don't have the 1897 browning design lever, but there's still time?

I take what I feel like that day, plain and simple.

The 3rd shot is nice, especially as either a cripple smacker or if you are hunting tougher birds like divers and sea ducks were making them dead, stone dead is very important.

If pumping slows you and makes you pick your shots better get a pump, if pumping is more motion then your brain can handle to stay on target, get an auto.

If budget is tight, or you aren't sure waterfowling is your game, pick up an 870 express, $200-$300 and you won't loose a penny if you end up selling it.

Very best,

ian

I have both that is why I'm asking I've got a BPS and a Browning Gold. I got the automatic because it is faster but it seems like I put a lot more holes in the sky than I did with the pump.