Thread: Hey Patrick!

Hey Patrick!

Tell us more about the pacific motor dory you are building...

A Tolman is where my day dreams have been, a scaled down standard to 16' will be contructed as soon as I have a place to build it!

Very best,

Ian

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hey Patrick!

Here's your pics, had to shrink em a wee bit,

Re: Hey Patrick!

Patrick,

For your wifes sake we shouldn't be together near her, as I too can run on about boats!

Beautiful build, leaving it bright on the inside is a wonderful touch! All the boats I've built end up camo'd so usually the only bright areas are under decks.

I was wondering if you made the style of boat I thought you had. I have an article from Woodenboat years back that shows one very similar to yours. I love the form following function ideal of this design, and now being on the west coast and having visited some of the places it was designed for I see the need. Funny, on the east coast they have an oyster skiff of similar hull and need, but not the height, flare or motorwell.

I look at this style of dory and wonder if it was what Renn made when he first started on his quest.

So far I think it'll be 16' when I get to start on mine, few reasons,
    1. is 16' will do the vast majority of what I need,
    2. space to build in,
    3. I'll still use it for sea duckin, divers and brant, and hiding a 16' elephant is much easier then an 18 or 20!
    4. If I was to go 18, I might as well go 20, and and and....

I will someday build a 24' jumbo, my retirement project as I call it now, only 20 some odd years to go!

very best,

Ian