Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for ideas for a gift

looking for ideas for a gift

As y'all know this weekend is the Tradex Outdoor show and I will be attending and looking at ideas for a gift for Peter this year.

I was in the works of planning a fly in sheep hunt trip for Peter this year as an anniversary/birthday gift but it is now changed plans as he has been invited to go on a sheep trip with a very great group of guys who have done this trip for a long time.

Peter is not a seasoned sheep hunter but he is not a greenhorn to it either.

I would like some ideas as to what sort of equipment, gear, etc. y'all seasoned sheep hunter use so I can have him outfitted for this trip of a lifetime. Last year I purchased the spotting scope for him so he is set with that.

I appreciate the input as always. (Luke, Ron & Chris please do not say anything to him as it is a surprise)

Alison

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

2. Site Sponsor

Re: looking for ideas for a gift

Ali does he have all his equipment already? If it were me I would buy him a string of packhorses, 5th wheel horse trailer, and nice new dually diesel to tow it all. That would make me a happy sheep hunter.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

A small yet versatile first aid kit in a waterproof container.
    This is often overlooked perhaps because it is not heavily advertised/glamourous nor is it a status symbol.
    Useful though.

What about getting him a mount for that sheep that he brings home??

I am of a bit of the belief that you can finally over-equipping yourself with gear and if you have your essentials (optics, clothing, pack etc) you start buying things that you basically just carry from your house to the truck and back again without ever using.

A beauty mount of a Stone to remember that trip would be a hell of a gift, and knowing that is his birthday present he will hunt just that much harder!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Ali does he have all his equipment already? If it were me I would buy him a string of packhorses, 5th wheel horse trailer, and nice new dually diesel to tow it all. That would make me a happy sheep hunter.
    Dirty - he has a lot f hunting equipment and gear for all weather and all different types of hunting, just this trip is not a drive in set up camp type - from what I have gathered in the tidbits of info I am given it is a lot of high endurance kind and so I have made the necessary order to add onto his pack (he has a wanderer - which you can add onto) but I am just wondering as to how different hunting this high rocky steep terrain is and if special equipment is required as I know sheep hunting in my lifetime is going to be NIL but I want Peter to have the greatest enjoyment of the trip and be properly outfitted and safe.

As for the horses and trailer and truck - well as fantastic as that sounds unfortunately I havent won a lottery.

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Does he have some good quality boots? Seems like he has most other stuff, and lord knows his personal chef sees to it that he doesn't starve... I also like the idea of the mount. Someone else on this board had a neat mount for a bear skull, which included a board with a photo, the cartridge case used to take it (complete with inscription if I recall) and the skull itself.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

How's his current sleeping bag?? Light enough for backpacking??

How about a Siltarp II?? One of the best pices of equipment in my pack.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

How about a new eberlstock backpack
    If you Live Life with no risks, you risk living life at all!

Boots, sleeping bag, back pack, all good places ot look.

Not to mention OPTICS!!!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I'll second the Sil-Tarp II idea... Good piece of gear.

Some other items I am glad I bring...

- Small Face Cloth, that attaches to my pack strap... Great for wiping the sweat off your face.

- Trekking pole or two.

- Jetboil Stove (if he's eating freeze dry this is the cats @$$)

- Good Quality Headlamp.

- Tripod for spotting scope.

I think an item I am going to add in the near future is this personal GPS tracking device. http://www.findmespot.com/

Carl