Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Shy

Camera Shy

Many years ago I shot the largest moose of my life near Germansen Landing.I spent about 45 minutes rolling him over to gut him, and stopped. Exhausted. If only I had a picture of this, I thought. When digging out my knives from my backpack, I found my wife had packed a small 35 mm.camera in my pack. With great joy I took a picture of me sitting on that upside down moose, and one of my partner. There were only 2 pictures left on that roll of film!They are treasured photos. I now have a small digital camera, which is pitifully slow even when adjusted. I carry a pack, a rifle, and binocs around my neck. Just never seem to get a camera going. So you guys on the site, tell me about your cameras. Any suggestions on buying one? I've seen awesome photos here---it's time I got into the act.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Camera Shy

If you're not the SLR-toting kind of guy, I strongly recommend the T-line of Sony. I have the DSC T-100 (8m.p.) and it takes wonderful pictures and the stability function is heads and shoulders above all the other brands. I have used Fuji, Kodak, Canon etc. and none of these brands can stabilize like the Sony, and this can be of the utmost importance when you've got the shakes after shooting an animal (digicams of the smaller variety tend to produce blurry pics because of various reasons)! The newest model is the T-200 (10m.p. I think), probably more than you'll ever need. Sony is pricier but worth every cent. I can send you some full sized pics if you PM me your email address.

As for SLRs, I think the others will have more experience but personally I think you can't go wrong with the Nikon D40x package. Good for starters, loads of goodies to buy for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

i might be a bit overboard with my setup but i pack more than just a gun when i go out,,,my other hobby is photograpy,,, i use a nikon D300 with two lenses ,,either my 80-400vr or my 35-70 wide angle let's just say i've shot more game with the camera than with the gun but if you're wanting to just take close ups of your game any small digital will do,,but pick one that has more than 5mp's for quality
    no vegetables here

If you want a simple point and shoot camera with 4x optical zoom, then I suggest getting something like this. Canon cameras are good cameras and you can buy this model for $150-200 now. There's other good brands, but my daughter and I both have this one and it's a good "throw in your pack" camera. And with 4.0 megs it will take good pictures. If you want to go higher end camera then the skies the limit.

This site has good camera reviews.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a430.html
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

for packing with on a trip for trophy photo shot, I would just pick up a 4.0 megapixel compact camera without too many bells and whistles
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thanks for the help! I'm looking at camera sales as we speak(read?).

Bow Walker Guest

Go for a "point and shoot" digital. Get a faily large memory card, a few spare batteries and you're good for the whole trip.

I'm currently running an Olympus SP550-UZ. It is a point and shoot with an 18x optical zoom. It is an ideal bush camera. I like to carry it in a Lowepro case attached to my backpack belt, so I have quick access. Always fun to take pics of the critters you encounter while hunting, whether it is bucks you pass on or critters like martins that are curious enough to let you take some sweet pics. In wet conditions, I put the camera inside a ziplock and then in the camera case, just to make sure the moisture doesn't get at the camera.

I use a Pentax WP camera. It fits in a shirt pocket, takes GREAT pictures, is waterfproof and can be used to take pictures under water to a depth of 12 feet, is dust proof, takes videos and sound recordings too. Perfect for all the crudy weather conditions a hunter or angler gets into.
    ________
    marijuana seed
    Last edited by porcupine; 01-29-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Iuse the olympus 550-uz also . not to hard on the pocket book ,simple to use and takes decent pics.The sheep pics i recently put in the gallery ,most of them were roughy taken at 100 yrds. The 18x optical zoom is great for taking wildlife shots.
    Midnight toker