Thread: Snare wire info sought

Question Snare wire info sought

What is the best type of wire to use for construction of snares for small game in SW BC? I have been told stainless steel and have also been told no, no, no it must be brass.
    What say you who have more experience than I?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Snare wire info sought

"If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Clam View Post
    What is the best type of wire to use for construction of snares for small game in SW BC? I have been told stainless steel and have also been told no, no, no it must be brass.
    What say you who have more experience than I?
    I'm sure either would work.....brass is abit more "maleable" and may tighten up easier ? Never tried stainless wire.....might be too "stiff"

Just be sure since your in BC it's made from 20 gauge or smaller wire and NO braided types....unless you're a licensed Trapper.

I have found .016 or .020 stainless lockwire to be plenty good for rabbits and such.
    april fool in waiting

Snared for years back in Newfie, best wire I found to work was the 16 or 20 guage stainless. Remember if it gets a tight twist or "kink" in the snare, chuck it out, it will break at that point if you use it again! Good luck!!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

Back in my Alberta days mid 80's in South Cooking Lake I used the brass line for snaring snowshoes. I got it directly from a trap shop somewhere in Edmonton when I could hitch a ride with someone. Had good success with only a few problems, such as placing the loop off the center of the path or making it too small. Never ate those ones only the ones I shot. Didn't feel comfy eating the snared ones. Used to be quite content at school or doing chores at home knowing that I was still hunting even though I wasn't actually out in the bush at the moment. Another thing that I appreciate was my dad's rule about the trapping. There were two of them first you check the whole line daily and second learn taxidermy. I was out evceryday and though I didn't actually formally learn taxi I tried with what I could afford on a 15 yrs old's allowance...bought my racks and borax, skins didn't last too long, after a year or two the snowshoes in my collections started losing their fur. Good times that many kids today don't get a chance at.

Brass is what you want. locks up on itself easily and is also easy to straighten . One fist in diameter one fist off the ground for bunnies
    You'll never see me on Hoarders , cause I cant afford that much sh_t!!

if you go to your local sport shop they should have snare wire in the survival section for about $2 good for rabbits and things

Quote Originally Posted by johnes50 View Post

That's a neat site

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Thanks for all the info.
    It looks as though the steel vs brass debate still goes on.
    Maybe I should get both and test them...