Thread: Gregory Packs

Gregory Packs

Anyone got any experience with Gregory packs? Specifically, the Whitney?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gregory Packs

One of my hunting partners uses one. I don't have any first hand experience with it (short of trying it on once or twice), but he loves it, and it has stood up to a lot of very tough use.

My last pack was a Gregory. Used it for 15 years or so. It saw a ton of milage and a ton of abuse. Packed out a lot of meat with that pack over the years. It was an awesome pack. No complaints at all. It finally gave up the ghost last year and now I use an Eberlestock.

So Dana, which do you like better? Comparing older Gregory's with newer ones is probably like comparing aplles and oranges but...
    I've been lookin to replace the old Arcteryx and I got a chance at a new Gregory Whitney at a really good price. I'm just not sure if I should buck up and spend the $$ on an Eberlestock or Mystery Ranch or go with this Whitney. It's extremely comfortable, seemingly more comfortable than my Arcteryx, seems very well built and looks like it can take some abuse

I haven't looked at the newer Gregory's, but back in the day, they were top-notch backpacks. They weren't cheap either. I was able to pick mine up used for a couple hundred bucks. I bought it from a buddy that was a guide for Outward Bound in the US. He used the pack once for a 10 day trip but otherwise it was pretty much brand new. I believe at the time it was about $500-600 brand new.
    From a hunting perspective, the Eberlestock is much better. It is designed for the hunter, versus the Gregory that was designed for the backpacker. The Eberlestock is quiet and is designed to go from a daypack to a meat hauler in a matter of seconds. I can fit way more meat in it than I could in my Gregory. Eberlestock is pretty cheap in price too. I believe mine shipped from the US was around $300.

I had a Gregory Denali Pro from March 2003 to July 2006 and loaded it quite heavily. It was Ok to about 60 lbs., but, after that it became very uncomfortable quite quickly. They are good packs, not quite what theyn once were, but, there are better choices now.

My buddy brought an Eberlestock to my home last year for my opinion and I was not too impressed, but, it was OK for what he spent. If, you really want the best heavy duty hunting pack I have ever seen/used, go with Mystery Ranch's NICE system.

This IS pricey, heavy and is built like a tank. It handles heavy loads like no other pack I have ever tried and, if an old phart of 61, like me, can carry 100 lbs. on it and I have, then it should work superbly for anyone younger.

But, it HAS to fit and you should call MR and discuss this with them, they give the finest customer service of any maker I have ever dealt with, check them out.

kut,out of curiosity, how did the gregory pack fail when you loaded it?

dana, how was yours when you loaded it?

The hipbelt pinched my hips and made them sore, my buddy, only 40, VERY fit, tough and a worldwide climber and hunter traded me his spare Husqy powersaw for it and then found the same thing. The shoulder straps are not as stable under load as the MRs either and this will REALLY tire you out on long trips.

I backpacked daily, heavy loads, as part of my employment, for many years and have tried a LOT of packs, all BS aside, MR packs handle weight like no others I know of, except a custom McHale.

I know that the "Backpacker Magazine" editors rave about the Gregorys and they are a "good" pack, but, my buddy borrowed one of my MRs for Moose hunting and immediately bought two of them, after coming home.

Unless you are VERY lean, the MRs seem to suit everyone who tries them and they have a super return policy. I also have two Kifaru packs, I prefer MRs, but, the Kifarus are better than Gregorys, however, they are big $$$$$. I am selling my larger one as I don't need it and only used it twice.

Check this carefully before buying, try to actually SEE the various packs and try them on WITH weight.