Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best caliber

Re: best caliber

My new do-it-all rifle is a .270 Weatherby Vanguard and I am happy with it. I am also pleased with my .30-06 and the 7mm.

As has been said, if you ask 100 people you will get 100 opinions. It all depends what you're comfortable with or think will do the job for you.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by steelheadSABO View Post
    when i say big game i mean deer to moose and grizzlys
    For one rifle in BC: The Canadian '06 - 338 Win Mag. My choice for one rifle to hunt BC elk and moose in grizzly country.Of course I consider it cruel and unusual punishment to be forced to have just one rifle

Your best bet is to decide what type of game you are primarily going to hunt. If deer are your primary quarry then a light flat shoot calibre like a 260Rem or 270 would be ideal. These would also work for moose and elk with the right bullets, but are not ideal. If Griz are on the menu a heavier cal like a 30cal mag or 338 would be good starting points.

No point in getting a giant big bore super smasher ultra magnum if you are primarily going to be hunting Whitetails.

45/70 marlin guide .(except for long range hunting) Quick,light, accurate ,easy to handle & POTENT.

damn str8

If limited to only one it would be a 338 Win mag. IT is big enought for the big bears and an Antelope is just as dead as with a 243.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

300 win mag!! BOOM!!!

.338 win. mag. gets my thumbs up. Good bullet selection, good ballistics, enough energy to get any job done.

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

What type of hunting you do makes a big diff- brush vs open ground. My rem 7 mm has been a great gun for antelope to elk- it is very flat, reliable, and pacs a decent punch. I like my 270 as well for an all around. I have a 30 30 that I can't shoot well past 150 yards, so I never use it, and a 300 ultra mag (375 necked down to a 300) that is too much for deer and antelope, so again, I don't carry it much.

Quote Originally Posted by diggerpax View Post
    ...and a 300 ultra mag (375 necked down to a 300) that is too much for deer and antelope, so again, I don't carry it much.
    Its actually a 404 Jeffery (improved), necked down to .308. Bigger parent case than a 375 H&H.

The 375 H&H full length case necked down to .308 is (amongst others, including the 300 H&H) most well known as the 300 WBY.

And the 375 RUM came after, so its technically a 300 RUM necked up to 375.

Sorry, I can't help myself...

Cheers,
    4ster
    Last edited by Kody94; 03-01-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: afterthought