Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Foods???

Puppy Foods???

Getting a new dog this weekend and was wondering what all you guys/gals are feeding your puppies. I read few older threads on puppy food and was just wondering if things have changed since all the dog food recalls last year.

Thanks for any help.

BHB

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Puppy Foods???

I'm pretty sure everything out there now is pretty much safe. What kind of dog are you getting?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Had our dogs on Go! but was causing food allergies in the form of a rash on their bellies. We switched to Orijen and they are happy little devils right now. It is expensive but worth it. I would definitely recommend the Orijen!
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Were getting a Kuvasz cross (3 parts kuvasz 1 part black and tan). My girlfriends brother has them. Not going to be used as a hunting dog but he will accompany me on trips. Going to get some bags for him so he can pack out some weight for me Will post some pics when we get him.

BHB

Congrats on the new pup, bet you are excited.

Premium dog food is worth the cost in less vet bills and a healthy dog.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

I've had my puppy on Innova puppy food for large breeds since I've gotten him. I'm a firm believer in that you get what you put in. If you want a good strong working dog then you have to fuel it properly.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

No everything isnt safe !
    Many people dont realize that the 30 some-odd companies are actually manufactured under 2 or 3 mega franchises using different names.
    There is so much sh&t in dog food now its unreal.

Make sure it falls on this list of foods in the right category.

http://www.geocities.com/rottndobie/...ogjournal.html

I feed mine Go Natural. Was on Nutro for years and Nutro is sh*t. Aside from their holistic line.
    Notice the list of unapproved from 2005, well it hasnt changed because they dont care.
    Also the manufacturers that wouldnt disclose information. You can bet it is for a reason.
    I've done the research on all this, hope you chose well.
    Enjoy the new addition!
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 02-19-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

GO natural Chicken and Vegtables.

She likes it a seems to work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

My gal, the dog food expert says:

Things you need to look for

has to be a large breed puppy food, your dog will be big you don't want it to grow too fast, it can cause lots of hip problems later on

check the ingredient list, should have a "meal" listed first
    ie, chickenmeal, or salmon meal, etc (no by product meals)

should have a money back guarantee,

don't cheap out on the bag, if it costs $10 for 30 pounds, your dog is eating garbage, generally even if it costs more, if you follow the guidelines and feed the proper amount, you won't break the bank

brands I like
    orijen, nutro, eagle pack. go , chicken soup for the dog lover, firstmate,innova, solid gold, summit, etc

if you go to any pet store they will have a good option, stay away from the grocery store
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I had my pup on Wolf Cub Solid Gold and switched her to Innova large breed puppy food because she kept getting an upset stomach, if you know what I mean. So far she seems to be better but not all the time. Just because a food is rated high doesn't mean it is the right food for your dog. Sometimes you have to switch it up. Look for a healthy coat, shiny coat with healthy skin and be aware if your pup is itching and scratching regularly, could be a food allergy....Good luck.
    Originally posted by Yappy Yoodle Dog 02/04/08

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?