View Poll Results: If "no conservation concern" Do you support the removal of the W.K. LEH Hunt

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Out of Region hunters: Yes, remove W.K. LEH elk hunt.

82 48.52%
  • Hunters living in Reg. 4: Yes, remove the W.K. LEH elk hunt

29 17.16%
  • Out of Region hunters: No, keep as is.

35 20.71%
  • Hunters living in Reg. 4: No, keep as is.

23 13.61%
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: West Kootenay LEH Bull Elk - Poll

Re: West Kootenay LEH Bull Elk - Poll

[quote=BCrams;246254]Now thats what I am talking about!!!!

I will probably never hunt Region 4 for elk but I believe we need to do what we can province wide to encourage hunting and what a way to do it without quote]

If you say you are fed up with the me,me,me attitude, why are you not lobbying for a greater expansion of opportunities in your local management unit and species....??????

So why have you been so stubborn about this conversation???

If you never plan to come and hunt here, it appears that you have no "interest" in elk management, just hunting opportunity......

If you have no interest in elk hunting, why are you creating polls that could be construed as misleading in questioning????

Sounds hypocritical to me....

BTW, I voted "no" on the WK poll you created, as I take more heed of an individual who has hunted over there for 20 and seen the herd crash and burn, then grow and flourish over time as compared to a biologist who happens to take a quick look at the "numbers" and says there is "no conservation concern"....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Count on NOT getting these draws in your lifetime at these odds.
    Sept. 10-Oct. 31 +At least three points 5 103.4:1
    2076 Kootenay 4-08 B

Actually I got this one the first year I ever applied for an LEH - someone's gotta get it right! I'm not certain but I've been told that first time LEH applications (or maybe new hunters) have better odds at being drawn. Definitely sucks for the hunters who repeated apply and are denied but good for recruitment and retention for new hunters (if it is indeed true), I'm proof of that. Not all LEH hunts are hunter killers.

I technically live outside of the region, but grew up there (my entire life besides the last 2.5 years) and still have all my family there. I usually go back several times to hunt during the season. I think it would be great to have an open season. In fact, I think that if they opened up a 6 pt or better in the WK at the same time they opened up a 3 pt or better in the EK, it would work well to distribute hunters and provide oportunity.

[quote=rocksteady;246384]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Now thats what I am talking about!!!!

I will probably never hunt Region 4 for elk but I believe we need to do what we can province wide to encourage hunting and what a way to do it without quote]

If you say you are fed up with the me,me,me attitude, why are you not lobbying for a greater expansion of opportunities in your local management unit and species....??????

Only if you knew!

So why have you been so stubborn about this conversation???

One reason, attributes to the hard line stance the local clubs have portrayed themselves. I havn't seen the likes of it anywhere else in the province (except maybe the Fort St John club regarding the 4 pt whitetail season ....) I don't believe a minority as such should be influencing decisions as such but rather expose where the support most likely would be on a regional / provincial level.

If you never plan to come and hunt here, it appears that you have no "interest" in elk management, just hunting opportunity......

Sigh - once again you're wrong. I just may one day come down and hit some of my grandfathers old stomping grounds.

If you have no interest in elk hunting, why are you creating polls that could be construed as misleading in questioning????

Misleading? I highly doubt it. Just a dose of reality when it comes to the general hunting population and what they would like to see vs a few vocal minority guys like you.

Sounds hypocritical to me....

You don't know what you're talking about.

BTW, I voted "no" on the WK poll you created, as I take more heed of an individual who has hunted over there for 20 and seen the herd crash and burn, then grow and flourish over time as compared to a biologist who happens to take a quick look at the "numbers" and says there is "no conservation concern"....

Its no surprise you voted no. You have come across as a pretty dense individual thus far.

I've probably heard and know about it as much or more than you have. My grandfather was a well known CO based out of Kimberley and has seen it all from the time before you had milk on your lips through a couple years ago when he passed away. Some of you locals may have met him or heard of him or especially know his boys.
    I don't know where you get off putting words in my mouth or anything of the sort.

You should learn a bit more before spouting off.
    Last edited by BCrams; 02-18-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    That die-off was due to a bad winter. Best part is those elk are starting to become a pain and you'll start to see more and more LEH authorizations for cows in the W Koots every single year until we get another bad winter and feed the wolves some more.

There are guys who have hiked and hunted those hills since Christ was a cowboy who support moving it to a GOS. 20 years is a drop in the bucket in that country. Plenty of families that have 3 or 4 generations of hunters who support it.

Best part is the area up the Lardeau has been on GOS for years and nobody's said a peep - no complaints. It's the same friggen country, winter range is probably worse than that south country and the funny part is the same guys who don't support moving to GOS are the ones who are hunting 4-18 and the Lardeau country on GOS. Seems a bit strange to me.

You need to know the biologist and background before you point fingers. You'd be surprised that maybe the biologist lives there and has a fair bit of hunting experience..........................

The current season is a trophy season plain and simple.

The people who don't want a GOS will tell you that and so will the retired biologists who maintained it.

This isn't a conservation issue - it's about trophy hunting.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Only if you knew!

So tell us all that you have done....Besides having a BCWF sticker on your vehicle, be proud of what you feel you have accomplished.....

One reason, attributes to the hard line stance the local clubs have portrayed themselves

Maybe we are more passionate about what we believe in than others, not always a bad thing...Remember years ago when all you heard on the Rafe Mair show was about how the Nechako Dam and Nechako expansion would detrimentally effect the salmon stocks, did you cal Rafe and tell him to stop his "hard line stance"...

Sigh - once again you're wrong. I just may one day come down and hit some of my grandfathers old stomping grounds.

Sigh- Sorry you are always right...My bad....

Just a dose of reality when it comes to the general hunting population and what they would like to see vs a few vocal minority guys like you.

So you are voice for the general hunting population??? How did you get elected to that position???

As far as the local minority, I think theres quite a few others on this site besides me that think you are full of it....

You don't know what you're talking about.

Sigh - Sorry you are always right...My bad #2....

You have come across as a pretty dense individual thus far

Way to keep a date or discussion on a mature level....Maybe some frustration setting in????

My grandfather was a well known CO based out of Kimberley

He may have been a great man, but sometimes genetics don't get passed on

Sigh - Sorry you are always right - My bad #3....

Talk to you soon.....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I like the idea of having a few areas in the province where you have the possiblity of shooting a true trophy elk. If they decide to open up the WK limited areas up fully, we will lose that. I know locals are complaining about elk ruining property and being a general nuisance, so if they do open it up, have it as a three pt and lower open season while still keeping the limited entry draws for the trophy bulls.

[quote=rocksteady;246417]
    So tell us all that you have done....Besides having a BCWF sticker on your vehicle, be proud of what you feel you have accomplished.....

Input for proposed regulation changes Some of which will be on the table next year. All geared to provide more opportunity for hunters.

What have you done except defend the 6 pt regulation? So far you've argued against everything without any merrit or facts to back your statements other than fear mongering.

Maybe we are more passionate about what we believe in than others, not always a bad thing...Remember years ago when all you heard on the Rafe Mair show was about how the Nechako Dam and Nechako expansion would detrimentally effect the salmon stocks, did you cal Rafe and tell him to stop his "hard line stance"...

I am sure many individuals did, I wasn't old enough! But it appears you were, did you make the call?

Sigh- Sorry you are always right...My bad....

I don't think anyone would appreciate you making false statements about them, myself included.

So you are voice for the general hunting population??? How did you get elected to that position???

Nope!! Its really simple: refer to the people who voted in the poll. Its not bomb proof, but the general census likely will not change much no matter how you word it.

As far as the local minority, I think theres quite a few others on this site besides me that think you are full of it....

I'd like them to speak up and tell me so!! I don't mind criticism, but if you're going to do so, do it with substance to back yourself up!!

Way to keep a date or discussion on a mature level....Maybe some frustration setting in????

You still are not saying much to change my opinion in that regard!

He may have been a great man, but sometimes genetics don't get passed on

You wanted to know how I knew about the history of elk in the Kootenays, don't cut the rest of the paragraph out and try to make yourself bigger. Anyone can see what you're doing.

Sigh - Sorry you are always right - My bad #3....

Thats right, your bad #3 - how many 'bads' before you learn something?

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by cassiarkid View Post
    I like the idea of having a few areas in the province where you have the possiblity of shooting a true trophy elk. If they decide to open up the WK limited areas up fully, we will lose that. I know locals are complaining about elk ruining property and being a general nuisance, so if they do open it up, have it as a three pt and lower open season while still keeping the limited entry draws for the trophy bulls.
    There are many ares in the province already where you have the possibility of shooting a true trophy elk. 7A produces record class bulls every year; so does 7B and other ares in the Kootenays. Just wait until they open up elk in Region 5, where they are spreading at a fairly rapid pace.

Many of these open areas are producing bigger bulls than the LEH zone!
    Last edited by BCrams; 02-19-2008 at 09:10 AM.

-- John Muir

-- John Muir